Author Topic: Glue line failure  (Read 2015 times)

Offline Jmilbrandt

Glue line failure
« on: September 17, 2010, 05:14:27 am »
So I was almost tillered out to 28 inches on my latest boo backed bow when I noticed it coming loose near the nock. It's about an inch or so long near the nock on one end. I've never had this problem before so I'm not quite sure how to fix it. Can I just run some super glue in and clamp it would that hold?
SW Utah

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Glue line failure
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 05:35:19 am »
There are two answers.
a) Try it and see.
b) If you suspect a poor glue line you would be better off dissmantling it and re building.
It depends how much you like the idea of splitting the bow and how optomistic you are.
There isn't much stress near the nock, so if it failed there, I'd guess it will fail elswhere too, unless maybe it just wasn't clamped up well at the nock end.
Bottom line is you'll only find out by trying it but if you try a) it may spoil the lams and stop you doing b) successfully.
Clint Eastwood would probably ask if you were feelin lucky today...
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Thwackaddict

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 07:48:00 am »
Well.....Are ya........Punk! LMAO sorry guys couldnt help myself.  i agree with del.
Hello everyone.My name is Randy and I am addicted to THWACK!!

Southwest,VA

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 07:55:57 am »
  Glad this question was asked. Because it happened to mine, BBO, this weekend, but was about 3" area. I can lift it at that spot and see it's not a good glue joint. I'm going to opt for the last part for option (b) and squirt some TB3 in and clamp. We'll see if it turns out to be an explosive experiance. :o
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline 4est Trekker

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 08:58:12 am »
What adhesive did you use?  If you used Titebond, hide glue, or the like you can heat the boo until the glue releases.  Simply redress both surfaces and reglue. 
"Walk softly, and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline Jmilbrandt

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 04:55:58 pm »
It was titebond 3 so my best option is taking it apart and then re gluing it? Do I need to remove the whole thing or could I pull up the last three inches and glue it back down?
SW Utah

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 05:05:56 pm »
It was titebond 3 so my best option is taking it apart and then re gluing it? Do I need to remove the whole thing or could I pull up the last three inches and glue it back down?
the prob with only releasing a portion is that there will always be a join between old and new which will be a weak point.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Jmilbrandt

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 05:24:28 pm »
Ok i don't want to take any chances ill just strip the whole piece off and re glue. I'm starting to regret cutting up my form I used for it yesterday now.  ::) Thanks for your help guys.
SW Utah