Author Topic: Cutting Hickory  (Read 1732 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Cutting Hickory
« on: September 18, 2010, 01:28:21 am »
I got permission to cut this shagbark hickory today.  Seems to be pretty straight and tall with no limbs for the first 20+ feet  This will be my first time cutting hickory, anybody got any tips?  Do I seal the ends?  Should I split it and remove the bark right after I cut it? 

Cell phone picture, sorry for the poor quality.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Cutting Hickory
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 01:35:34 am »
What is the diameter of this tree? If big enough I would cut it, cut logs to length(6' mol) and if big enough(6" or bigger) would split it in half for now and seal the ends. On smaller logs starting the split mid log  and working out both directions seems to work best for me.  You probably won't be able to remove the bark easily at this time of year. Spring or early summer is the best time for that.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 01:48:49 am »
It is at least 10" at the base.  It looks like it is around 8" for most of the length.  I could wait until spring to cut it if I need to, would that be better?  I would rather cut it now so it could be drying over winter.  I am anxious to try out some hickory.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline WillAdams

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 09:27:49 am »
For most woods, checking will be reduced if cut when the sap is down, so wait until after the leaves have fallen, but well before spring.

I'd plan the cuts around the lengths of bow you want to make w/ a bit extra to allow you to move a bow around on a stave if need be. A short length could be used for takedowns or traded or sold.

Splitting will help drying time --- seal the ends of course.