Author Topic: Carrotwood Bow (Not BOM)  (Read 2728 times)

Offline Parnell

Carrotwood Bow (Not BOM)
« on: September 16, 2010, 08:20:16 pm »
Hello,

Here is some information on carrotwood.  I'm attaching pictures of a bow that I made.  Unfortunately, after a succesful pike of 3 inches the bow exploded after I shot it and I put it on the tiller tree to get an estimate of weight.  It went to about 43-44 lbs. and wham!
So here is the story.  I finished it about 2 weeks ago.  Shot it probably about 200 times or so.  it was 60 inches ntn and 40#.  At the handle it was 1 3/8" wide and went to thin tips under a half inch.  I piked it so it would be 58" ntn.  There was some character in the center of the D and it was bending a bit too much in the handle, I guess.  That's where it shattered after piking. 
I don't much mind because at least I got to have some fun with it and I learned a good deal about the wood before it blew on me.  I'll say this: the wood seems quite elastic.  I didn't heat treat the wood and it didn't take much set, probably about .5 - to an inch.  It is a lightweight wood.  I think that this wood would do quite well with sinew backing, but I don't have any experience with that so it's just on my educated guessing.  The bow shot well out to 20 yards and had actually been my preferred shooter, but hey, it was also the newest and one I was experimenting with.  I really like the colors in this wood, brown/grey/orange streaks.  I'd be very curious to shoot a shorter sinew backed D.  I've got one more stave of this stuff that's seasoned and am considering doing a sinew project.  But we'll see...

Here are pictures.  Please feel free to ask any questions.

[attachment deleted by admin]
1’—>1’

Offline sailordad

Re: Carrotwood Bow (Not BOM)
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 08:27:23 pm »
afre you sure that discoloration wasnt a fungus or something on that line
oh and sorry about your bow  ;)
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Parnell

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 08:31:22 pm »
Hi Sailordad, there's no fungus.  The wood has a very thin bark, no growth rings, and there is a very intertwined papery I guess (cambium?) layer that clings to the wood.  I imagine more sanding could be done, it really taken off and then a sinew layer.  The picture of the braced bow on that stave on the driveway - that stave is carrotwood.
1’—>1’

Offline RyanY

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 08:48:43 pm »
Very cool. I'm really interested in trying more woods just for the fun of it. I go to Michigan State University and there are a lot of ginko trees. If you've ever seen them, they're very different compared to normal trees so I wonder what characteristics the wood has. I'd like to see more carrotwood bows in the future.  ;D

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 09:39:38 pm »
 There's another one coming in the future. I've got a big stave Wayne, (stickbender) gave me.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Irontom

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 09:42:53 pm »
That wood reminds me of the eucalyptus bush we have in the front yard.  Same coloring to it but the eucalyptus does have growth rings.  If only I knew better what I was doing and it wasn't so twisted...

Looking forward to hearing more about this project.

Offline Christophero

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 05:41:02 pm »
I believe I would learn more about it's properties and longevity before investing in a snew backing.  I did that once and will not waste the effort again.  JMHO