Author Topic: Yew trees  (Read 7560 times)

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
Yew trees
« on: September 13, 2010, 07:29:56 pm »
While out this weekend, I went to a place with several types of yew.  They had Japanese yew (Taxus cuspidata), Anglo-Japanese yew (Taxus x media), and Hunnewell yew (Taxus x hunnewelliana).  Anyone know much about these?  All the trees I looked at were plenty big to make a bow out of, but didn't want to waste any time of they were going to be as good as pine.  I know I will probably get some yew snobs wanting to argue about Italian Yew versus Pacific Yew  :P ;D but was wanting to know generally if these species would make a serviceable bow.   Thanks for any help!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 07:42:49 pm by jeffutley57 »
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Yew trees
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 12:55:25 am »
Jeff, I'd think yew(Taxus) was yew! Maybe some variation in properties but all should make bows. Only one way to find out.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 04:03:11 am »
I havn't known the exact species (or is it genus/sub type? ...whatever) of any wood I've cut.
I suspect that there are as many variation of wood quality within one exact type as there are between types, maybe even withing a single tree.
I've cut a small branch and found lovely heart/sap wood definition and then been dissapointed when I cut a bit big enough for a stave from the same tree.
All part of the excitement, like unwrapping a present!
Hey, let's start another daft myth. You have to cut from the North side of the tree, or the side facing up slope into the prevailing wind. You must also wear a checked shirt  ::)
A clove of garlic in your pocket also helps keep off the drop bears. ;)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Cacatch

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 09:41:50 am »
What's a drop bear?

Offline HoBow

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 09:55:44 am »
Thanks! I've read some arguments over how some people hate English Yew/Italian Yew/Pacific Yew and didn't know if there was as much difference as they made out....looks like I have to ask someone to get permission to get some wood  ;)
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline adb

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 10:19:45 am »
While out this weekend, I went to a place with several types of yew.  They had Japanese yew (Taxus cuspidata), Anglo-Japanese yew (Taxus x media), and Hunnewell yew (Taxus x hunnewelliana).  Anyone know much about these?  All the trees I looked at were plenty big to make a bow out of, but didn't want to waste any time of they were going to be as good as pine.  I know I will probably get some yew snobs wanting to argue about Italian Yew versus Pacific Yew  :P ;D but was wanting to know generally if these species would make a serviceable bow.   Thanks for any help!
Where are you finding these trees? Are they live standing, or has someone already cut them? In regards to your question, I don't know... but I'd like to. Keep us posted on the outcome. I would think if it's the taxus genus, and of sufficient density, it should make a bow.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 11:05:26 am »
What's a drop bear?

It's an Australian joke, they tease the tourists by telling them to watch out for the drop bears. They have such weird creatures over there that the concept of a bear that drops out of the trees onto it's prey seems quite feasible. I think they are like a Koala's evil twin  ;D
See below what Wiki says.

Drop bear
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the fictional animal. For other uses, see Dropbear (disambiguation).
A drop bear (or dropbear) is a fictitious Australian marsupial.[1] Drop bears are commonly said to be unusually large, vicious, carnivorous koalas that inhabit treetops and attack their prey by dropping onto their heads from above.[2] They are an example of local lore intended to frighten and confuse outsiders and amuse locals, similar to the jackalope, hoop snake, wild haggis, or snipe.

It is often suggested that doing ridiculous things like having forks in the hair or Vegemite or toothpaste spread behind the ears will deter the creatures,[3] or that walking through the bush carrying a screwdriver raised above one's head will impale an attacking drop bear.

Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 11:28:09 am »
I think we've got those in the Everglades, but their drop monkees.
1’—>1’

Cacatch

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 11:45:45 am »
I see.  ;D    Thanks for the explanation, that's some pretty funny stuff! It would be funny as heck to see a tourist applying teh various articles for personal protection against the nasty ol dropbears. I'll bet you get some people who really believe it, huh.

CP

Offline CraigMBeckett

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 12:32:32 pm »
Del you pommy b*^#$@d you have spoiled it for us all. Now we will just have to rely on the (non fictional) six or is it ten most poisonous snakes in the world, the three most poisonous spiders, blue ring octopuses, sharks and of course saltwater crocks to scare the tourists with.

Craig.

HatchA

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2010, 01:15:15 pm »
Del you pommy b*^#$@d you have spoiled it for us all. Now we will just have to rely on the (non fictional) six or is it ten most poisonous snakes in the world, the three most poisonous spiders, blue ring octopuses, sharks and of course saltwater crocks to scare the tourists with.

Craig.

Or failing that, the locals...  ;)

Offline elk country rp

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2010, 01:53:57 pm »
sorry, jeff, you've been hijacked....

Craig, i think i met someone who's benefited from your "enlightenment" the other day. i had a tourist ask me about the alligators that hang out in Yellowstone's hot springs....i had to tell her the truth of course (they're nocturnal, don't cha know)!

Offline HoBow

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2010, 06:19:55 pm »
Does this look about right?  From what I could find, Hicks Yew is suppose to be a shrub, so I'm not sure if the tag is labeled wrong...

[attachment deleted by admin]
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline CraigMBeckett

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2010, 10:57:58 pm »
Yes  sorry Jeff,

Craig, i think i met someone who's benefited from your "enlightenment" the other day. i had a tourist ask me about the alligators that hang out in Yellowstone's hot springs....i had to tell her the truth of course (they're nocturnal, don't cha know)!
  ;D

Just realised have left out jellyfish, we have some beauties, to start with there is the box jelly or stinger and you cannot go past the Irukandji they are a little devil.  >:D

Jeff, wish I had access to any form of yew, only piece I have had to import from US, all up cost a fortune approx $350 to $400 inc courier costs, have it sitting in my shed drying and maturing.

Craig.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 11:03:24 pm by CraigMBeckett »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2010, 11:30:30 pm »
Taxus x Media, Hicksii  aka  Anglojap yew and is a hybrid between T. cuspidata x T. baccata
T. cuspidata is Japanese yew and T. baccata is English yew.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC