Author Topic: about service berry  (Read 1753 times)

Offline Blacktail

about service berry
« on: September 10, 2010, 09:29:51 pm »
i have some service berry on my property and was wondering if is sensitive to heat...its been in the 70-80 temp here...and i wanted to reduce it down to flooring and let it dry for a few weeks and hopfully finish it...i guess a green bow...so,if you have any info on service berry it would be great...thanks john

Offline elk country rp

Re: about service berry
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 12:52:43 am »
i've found that it likes to twist as it dries, so strap it down once you get it to dimension

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 12:57:07 am »
o.k. thanks so much...i will get on that...i hope it wont be to bad...john

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 02:57:32 pm »
That sounds like good advice to me. I made a bow out of green serviceberry this summer. It did take a little twist but shoots well. It was in the 90s here.
 One more thing. I was told it does not take compression well so I did not use sinew. I was kind of testing the limit while tillering and it lifted a splinter on the back, so I don't believe the compression thing. I backed it and wrapped it and it is doing great. I look forward to using it again soon.
 Good luck

JustinNC

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 10:56:27 am »
Service berry has a natural twist to it most times. I dont think I've seen one that wasn't twisted. They tought us in my dendrology class in college to look for twisted bark for aid in ID in winter time. Exceptions to every rule though.