Author Topic: Dangit!  (Read 2644 times)

Offline jonathan creason

Dangit!
« on: September 09, 2010, 06:10:49 pm »
I finally had a decent point going today, but I couldn't leave well enough alone.  Tried to thin it just a bit more...., and well I'm sure you all can finish the story.  I'm now working on a bird point.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

JustinNC

Re: Dangit!
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 06:17:27 pm »
I can vouch for him...great looking point. Shame it broke.

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 07:02:23 pm »
Its good you could not leave well enough alone!
 Pushing the envelop with knapping will make you better. You should never be 100% happy with any point you make, always find something to do better something else to make it better!
 Its OK to brake them. once you brake one study it and learn why it broke and gain the knowledge to do better on the next try.
 I've been knapping 11 years and i still brake them and I've never made the perfect point and hope i never do.  ;D
Mililani Hawaii

Offline sailordad

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 07:10:10 pm »
yup been there done that,just the other day  ;D

i had real thin,3.75" long,1.5" preform
like you i had to try and get it thinner
i knew it was gonn a snap too,i was over center and knew it but i am stubborn and just kept leaning into my Ishi stick
now i have 2 small preforms that dont look so thin now
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 07:16:50 pm »
Yep know all about that. I broke a pretty piece of coral I had. I wanted to get a few mistakes out that I had made and the next thing you know I had 2 smaller pieces of pretty coral.
Keep at it and never get discouraged. Like the others have said, learn from your mistakes.
TJ
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 10:44:20 pm »
Thanks guys, I just needed to vent a little on that one.  It was far, far from perfect, but it was the best I had done until then.  I do plan on pushing to make myself better though.  I'm pretty certain I'm never going to be satisfied with what I turn out.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline Hardawaypoints

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 11:17:46 pm »
Same for me what Jesse said...

I've never made a perfect point and always see some part of it that could be better/different.  Every point I ever made started out longer and wider than it ended up. 

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Offline Bone pile

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 10:13:41 am »
I think the knappers who never broke a point have their own website.........wecome to ours
Bone pile
Venice Florida

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2010, 10:47:55 am »
I think the knappers who never broke a point have their own website.........wecome to ours
Bone pile

Haha!
Cleveland, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2010, 03:47:26 pm »
I do that all the time...just one more little flake to get rid of that hump/thick spot/hangnail/little step....and snap!
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.