Author Topic: at the risk of jinxing myself...2010 hunting points  (Read 2879 times)

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

at the risk of jinxing myself...2010 hunting points
« on: September 09, 2010, 10:12:08 pm »
So at the risk of jinxing myself before the hunt i want to share my 2010 hunting points. i have done some experimenting with what flies the best and what has shown me the best penetration results and i came up with these heads that i am going to try this year. i have been currently hunting with my trade points but as soon as i get one down with them i am gonna try stone again this year. my hazel shafts are flying perfectly, no fishtailing at all, period.   and they really slam at 10 -12 yards. ( which is where i am limiting myself to stone hunting distances.)  as much as i have never held stock in weighing anything, i weighed these and they are roughly 145 grains each and about 7\8 wide. thats about as wide as i am willing to go but still wanted weight so that is why i went with the  diamond design.  i was originally shooting lighter points but off my 65# bow i really needed weight up front to keep the arrows flying straight.  i am a believer in small points for penetration, but i think weight and arrow flight out-weights the benefits of small points.  these are the sharpest points i will have ever hunted with. just testing them lightly on the back of my thumb, they put lots of little cuts on me, these things are really sharp.   i have a nice blind set up for a 10 yard shot, get a deer in front of me and it may really be in trouble this year.- Ryan

[attachment deleted by admin]
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
Re: at the risk of jinxing myself...2010 hunting points
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 10:29:42 pm »
They look deadly to me. I may have to try and duplicate some of those.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 10:31:42 pm »
i also put really good edges on the trailing edges too so if they stay in the chest or pull out, they continue to cut
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 10:42:23 pm »
I like 'em!  Be sure to show us some pics of them covered in blood should you get lucky.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline bowmo

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 02:30:55 am »
Sweet!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 10:42:44 am »
They look good to me,should do the job with no problems.Good luck. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline arappaho

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 11:04:17 am »
Yes, Best of Luck to you this year! I like the sturdy looking base on those.
Joe

JustinNC

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2010, 11:51:53 am »
Love them. Love the consistancy too!

Offline Jboyd

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2010, 04:11:38 pm »
They look great!  I just miss too much to use obsidian, I need some of that raw texas rock or fort payne.

Jamie