Author Topic: ipe  (Read 2942 times)

Norwotuck

ipe
« on: October 04, 2010, 08:25:06 pm »
I want to make a self bow from Ipe.  should I make it bias grain or edge ring?  Ive tried to follow a ring on the piece I have and it seems very difficult to follow, but I've broken two edge ring attempts.

Offline Easternarcher

Re: ipe
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 08:28:14 pm »
I want to make a self bow from Ipe.  should I make it bias grain or edge ring?  Ive tried to follow a ring on the piece I have and it seems very difficult to follow, but I've broken two edge ring attempts.

Ipe that I have is nearly impossible to even see the rings let alone follow one! ::)
Ipe is great in compression but not so great in tension (IMHO)....might be better and safer to back it with hickory or boo. Just a thought.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 09:00:20 pm »
Quarter sawn wood should work fine.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 11:33:40 pm »
Nor i would and have used quartersawn on it . round the edges of the back good and tiller well and you should have a shooter .heres two i did recently

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 11:37:27 pm by ken75 »

Offline wally

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 04:47:52 am »
I made one and it is very difficult to follow ring growth so I just used an unknown decking board and backed it with sinew. I covered that with red fish skin and scalloped the belly for looks only. It was about 60 inches and 38 lb at 271/2".
It shot really well and I loved it-until someone stole it!! from my front door where I foolish left it for 1/2hour before I remembered. Sometimes it's the quick and the dead around here.

But a self ipe bow is perfectly possible with sinew back for safety
and hey! Let's be careful out there

Offline Parnell

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 11:47:28 am »
I've never seen any Ipe planks that have the grain running in a proper "quartersawn" pattern.  I get twisted grain patterns so use backing strips of hickory and I've also used maple that works fine.  Would like to make an unbacked one, but having broke a couple would rather back it for security and longevity.
1’—>1’

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 05:41:31 pm »
Parnell, I have wasted a lot of wood cutting to get close to the grain orientation I want. Ill cut tapers off in two directions trying to get there.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah