Main Discussion Area > Bows

What Inspires me (odd random thoughs, with your indulgence)

<< < (4/9) > >>

Badger:
         Speaking as one who is not far removed from a caveman I can relate to the creative outlets provided here. Just as Hillbilly I studied and practiced bonsai for some time. When I speak of my philosophy surrounding my bonsai trees others look at me as if I am nuts although they provide me with a simplistic approach to life that allows for all the pitfalls and hurdles as well as successes we experience. Primitive archery is not similar for me but goes very well hand in hand. Some of my obsessive inspiration has begun to settle now but not in a bitter or bored or worn out was as much as leaving me with a feeling of some accomplishment and satisfaction and will always likley hold a warm place in my heart. I think any form of art or creativity is a very healthy and rewarding thing to include in our lives. Steve

duffontap:
Hillbilly, I love that chapter!  These days you wouldn't think of woodpeckers as being perfect target practice though. ;D ;D

That book made me want to shoot a blue heron so bad.  He just made it sound like the highest of all archery persuits.

J. D. Duff

woody:
Refreshing post.  I would say,  however, that for me it is enough to know within myself why I want to create a bow or anything else.  Making a wooden bow is essentially an irrational pursuit on our part as residents of the twenty-first century.  Materially speaking, there are simply more efficient means to an end.  Of course, it is revitalizing to our modern psyches to engage in this ancient craft, and this could possibly be argued as a rational approach to our chosen art.  Although, in the end there is a secret a bow whispers into our ear when we release an arrow - something not born of design or purpose, it is something from time unknown, possibly eternal.  I suppose that is what inspires me. It is a mystery. (or whatever)

Pat B:
Them Thompson boys were conservationists for sure. They only shot the Ivory Bills :o because they were so plentiful and left the Pileated wood peckers alone because they were scarce.   Pat

mullet:
That is one of my favorite books.Most of it takes place along the St.Johns river where I bow hunt every year.I've pulled up survey maps off the 'puter for that area from 1849.They are really cool ,a lot of the places are on the maps that are mentioned in the book.And then some say not surveyed,uninhabitable.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version