Author Topic: What Inspires me (odd random thoughs, with your indulgence)  (Read 23010 times)

Online Badger

Re: What Inspires me (odd random thoughs, with your indulgence)
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2007, 06:04:02 pm »
         Speaking as one who is not far removed from a caveman I can relate to the creative outlets provided here. Just as Hillbilly I studied and practiced bonsai for some time. When I speak of my philosophy surrounding my bonsai trees others look at me as if I am nuts although they provide me with a simplistic approach to life that allows for all the pitfalls and hurdles as well as successes we experience. Primitive archery is not similar for me but goes very well hand in hand. Some of my obsessive inspiration has begun to settle now but not in a bitter or bored or worn out was as much as leaving me with a feeling of some accomplishment and satisfaction and will always likley hold a warm place in my heart. I think any form of art or creativity is a very healthy and rewarding thing to include in our lives. Steve

duffontap

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2007, 06:06:22 pm »
Hillbilly, I love that chapter!  These days you wouldn't think of woodpeckers as being perfect target practice though. ;D ;D

That book made me want to shoot a blue heron so bad.  He just made it sound like the highest of all archery persuits.

J. D. Duff

woody

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2007, 07:13:17 pm »
Refreshing post.  I would say,  however, that for me it is enough to know within myself why I want to create a bow or anything else.  Making a wooden bow is essentially an irrational pursuit on our part as residents of the twenty-first century.  Materially speaking, there are simply more efficient means to an end.  Of course, it is revitalizing to our modern psyches to engage in this ancient craft, and this could possibly be argued as a rational approach to our chosen art.  Although, in the end there is a secret a bow whispers into our ear when we release an arrow - something not born of design or purpose, it is something from time unknown, possibly eternal.  I suppose that is what inspires me. It is a mystery. (or whatever)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2007, 08:05:18 pm »
Them Thompson boys were conservationists for sure. They only shot the Ivory Bills :o because they were so plentiful and left the Pileated wood peckers alone because they were scarce.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2007, 09:32:25 pm »
That is one of my favorite books.Most of it takes place along the St.Johns river where I bow hunt every year.I've pulled up survey maps off the 'puter for that area from 1849.They are really cool ,a lot of the places are on the maps that are mentioned in the book.And then some say not surveyed,uninhabitable.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Jesse

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2007, 10:50:43 pm »
Everyone is searching for what will make them happy. Most look in the wrong places. Most try too hard. The simple things are the most important. A simple bow can teach a lot about life. The process of making it requires patience. Learning to shoot requires discipline. When it breaks you learn not to give up. And one of the most satisfying things in life is to tune out the whole world and leave all your problems behind, pick up your bow and get in that zone. Its just you and your bow . That feeling that time stands still and you can watch your arrow fly perfectly to where you knew it was going before you released. That is satisfaction .not taking the shortcut. Slow down . Thats what I think this world needs to do. What is the rush?  You don't see or learn half as much when you rush through life. Most on this site seem to get it . I'm happy to be here
                                                                                                                                                            Jesse
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline mamba

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2007, 10:51:54 pm »
Nuttier then a fruit cake! - - - but you write with some intelligence (LOL) ramble all you want Dane.
Ray/NY

Offline Dane

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2007, 11:17:14 pm »
Mamba, thanks. But, be careful, as getting me started can open up a floodgate of peculiar ideas.

This site feels like a kind of home, with like minded kin, strangers and yet also family, or perhaps a tribe might be a better word?

JD, I promise to read it soon.

Dane

Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

duffontap

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2007, 11:30:31 pm »
Let me know what you think Dane. 

Eddie,
I'm coming to hunt with you. 

J. D. Duff

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2007, 11:53:46 pm »
 any time J.D. Bring some bug repellant.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2007, 08:36:56 am »

Dane, I wasn't at all worried about the bow sock...take your time. We always can fall back on that "tater sack" if we need to! ;D I'd like to sit around a camp fire some evening and hear some of those "peculiar idea's" of yours... ;)

Good post, brought out some good comments from folks!
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

DCM

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2007, 12:42:15 pm »
I started to write some mushy crap the other day and figured some goober would make fun of me.  LOL  Now I find much of that sentiment already written by others.  Good thread.

Online Badger

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2007, 01:29:58 pm »
        I enjoy threads like this, one of the nice things about growing up is that we don't have to hide behind any tough exteriors anymore and feel a lot more at ease expressing ourselves. Going to tell my bonsai story. When I was around 12 years old (46 years ago) a japanese contractor had come to my parents home to give them an extimate on building a new home in the back of our lot. He noticed my little trees on my work bench and came over to admire them asking me where I learned to do bonsai. I thanked him for the compliment as he was the first and only one to ever notice them and asked him what exactly bonsai meant. he gave me an explanation of bonsai and told me that my form for growing and training trees was true bonsai. As a 12 year old I was excited to find out I was actually doing something that had a name. He asked me what I thought about when I made these little trees, the best I could tell him was that I thought they looked pretty like that. He asked me to think about that question a little more and give him a call when I had a better answer, he and his wife owned a bonsai nursery a mile or so from my house. He informed me that there was more to it than pretty and he could see that. I will always believe that conversation was new milestone in my life.
        29 years later I got back to him with an answer, right after my divorce. Funny, don't know if he just said this or not but he said " I knew you would get back to me on that question eventually".  When he came to give us the estimate it was plain to him that we were poor, and lived in crowded and chaotic enviroment. Very little structure to the home or family and every inch of the property was basicaly a junk yard with the exception of my bonsai garden. My style of trees were stout trunks, stout branches, lots of light comming through trees so that all the leaves would get their equal share, excess and wispy weak growth was always quickly removed, battle scars and twisted growth were displayed proudly on them almost in some kind of defiance to the orderly straightly trimmed typical neiborhood landscapes. I realized I was simply imposing my philosophy of how I wanted my life on to my trees. They were tough, bold, independent, and beautiful for all their character. He proudly concratulated me and the grouchy old bastard gave me a badly needed hug. We are still friends today and he still works his nursery every day, I imagine he is pat 90 years old by now. Steve

DCM

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2007, 02:35:45 pm »
So, our bows are about how we want our lives to be.  Deep man.  LOL  Good post Steve.  But I think the old man's secret is the "you think about that some more" part and not so much what the answer finally turns out to be part.  Whatever it takes to get the lil rat in your head to turn the wheel is the secret, I think.

Offline PepeLep

• Just a common man
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2007, 03:18:35 pm »
You're a deep man, Dane.

I find inspiration from many areas.

Anytime I'm working with wood...whether building furniture or bows.

I also enjoy writing. These days, I'm concentrating on writing songs and playing music. I'm not much into Bach, but I do enjoy music. I like to sleep to Pink Floyd. (Is that healthy?:D) I like writing and playing traditional country music.

I like passing little things on to our grandkids. We've got two and another on the way.

Working with horses humbles me.

The most peace I ever find is when I'm in nature. I don't like other people around when I'm in the woods. That's my time to be with myself. Anytime it's just me and the elements, I am at home.
Doug from Missouri