Author Topic: Hawaiian Sling is in the making.......  (Read 3979 times)

Offline Bushman452

Hawaiian Sling is in the making.......
« on: October 29, 2010, 11:48:03 pm »
Gramps and I were working on an oak stave and then it came to me. Since I am crazy about spearfishing more than bowhunting I thought a Hawaiian Sling would best suit my persona more than a selfbow because I got plenty of time and wood to make one. I'd drew a plan on how it should look like (even though I'm much of a artist anymore) and who knows maybe a trip to The Bahamas would be the perfect place to test this bad boy out. Mmmmm yeah, underwater bowhunting for grouper, snapper, hogfish, and lobster. The only question is; is oak an ideal wood for this or do I need some special coat to make it more tolerate towards saltwater.
Rabbit eating, deer killing barbaric savage of the Commonwealth.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Hawaiian Sling is in the making.......
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 04:13:03 pm »
 An ideal way to make a Hawaiian sling is Bamboo. Cut a hand size section of bamboo and attach some surgicle tubing and insert the spear. Or just tie the tubing around your wrist and hold the spear in your hand untill you release it.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Bushman452

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 05:50:10 pm »
An ideal way to make a Hawaiian sling is Bamboo. Cut a hand size section of bamboo and attach some surgicle tubing and insert the spear. Or just tie the tubing around your wrist and hold the spear in your hand untill you release it.
Thanks I'll consider that, anyway an oak stave would make a great longbow.
Rabbit eating, deer killing barbaric savage of the Commonwealth.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 11:21:08 am »
I used to do a lot of spearfishing.  Can't beat it for a steady supply of fresh food!  I'd shoot a 40-50 lb. striper and eat for a week.  I'd go with bamboo, myself.  I'd like to see what you make, please post it.
1’—>1’