Author Topic: Paper backing  (Read 9985 times)

Offline oogabogachiefwalkingdeer

Paper backing
« on: September 06, 2010, 11:49:59 pm »
Anybody got any experience with paper backing. I have read a little about it but can't find much. Mike Smyth

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Paper backing
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 12:07:23 am »
I've used brown grocery bag paper as a backing. Glue it down with TiteBond or Elmer's carpenter glue. I've also use animal print tissue paper as a decorative backing.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline LEGIONNAIRE

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 02:50:15 am »
Uve only used chinese paper as a decorative backing, looks pretty cool. I would think Pat's idea of grocery bag backing would work if sufficent layers, 2-3 where added, perhaps it be as strong as thin rawhide. You should try it and let us know. Would be cool. good luck!
CESAR

LEGIONNAIRE ARCHERY

Offline walkabout

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 05:48:30 am »
ive used brown paper on a few bows and it worked well.one was my sons bow and the other was a red oak longbow@49#.only one layer is really needed if its put down smoothly.

Offline 4est Trekker

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 09:30:12 am »
I use brown shipping paper that you can get in rolls at Wal-Mart, Target, etc.  I use one piece for each limb, starting in the center of the handle and working toward each tip.  I dampen the paper slightly first and use TiteBond III.  No need for clamps as long as you gently work the bubbles/smooth the glue and paper out as you go.  Here's a couple I did about a year ago:

"Walk softly, and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline Aries

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 10:27:24 am »
wow that looks surprisingly clean, so what is the actual purpose of the paper backing? does is protect the same way a raw hide backing does? I never would have thought it strong enough. I'm quite impressed.
"If the only tool you have is a hammer,
                   you tend to see every problem as a nail."
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline adb

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 10:36:38 am »
It is actually strong enough to provide a useful tension strong backing. I've only done it on one bow, but I thought it looked too much like dark  brown fiberglass, and everyone who saw the bow asked if it was, so I didn't use it again.

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 11:09:44 am »
ive done several with the paper i make at work usually 55 to 90 #liner board, i like it under snake skin adds depth instead of the lightness of white woods under the skin

Offline Parnell

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 11:44:29 am »
When I was first fiddling around, I made a Poplar backing and put it on an Ipe core to test out how a wrong combination would work.  I kid you not.  I got it to full tiller, but after about 5 shots, of course, the poplar pulled a splinter.  I proceeded to superglue it down and put a paper grocery bag backing down, and low and behold, it's still shooting now, a year and a half later! 
So I would have to say that it is a pretty strong backing.
1’—>1’

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2010, 11:55:55 am »
Thanks guys. I'm just finishing up three that I backed with paper feed sacks. I did one with a spotted pattern painted on kind of like a fake snake. The other two are stained one has leather dye and the other walnut husk dye. I will try and get some pics up. I soaked paper in water overnight and put a thin coat of glue down on the bow and a coat on the paper. Hide glue on two elmers  on the last one. I think the elmers was easier. Mike Smyth

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2010, 06:06:46 pm »
If you think about how paper is made you would understand how strong it can be. It is wood fibers that are matted together into the sheet. Add glue to that and it is pretty strong and makes a good backing. You only need one layer too. Any more than that will add too much physical weight. If I need a stronger backing I will use rawhide, silk, linen, sinew or wood.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2010, 08:29:17 pm »

I call the spotted one aliigorghian skin. Imitation rawhide, and imitation nalgahide. Most of the nalgas have been trapped out here so I went with the fake. All feed sacks one layer. The two bamboo have deer toe overlays. Mike Smyth