Author Topic: First attempt cane  (Read 2534 times)

Offline Bowjo

First attempt cane
« on: September 06, 2010, 10:49:27 pm »
Well I straightened some cane today.Cut and ground turkey feathers and smashed and seperated some sinew.I know these first ones look a little rough. I hope I can improve a little,working with the slimy sinew is still tough for me.Now I gotta lern how to do foreshafts.

Offline Bill Skinner

Re: First attempt cane
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 05:22:36 pm »
If they fly striaght, it doesn't matter what they look like.  And FWIW,  mine looked worse, but flew great, so I lean towards function has its own beauty.  Bill

Offline aero86

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 05:43:35 pm »
think they look good!  i love cane, and its what i started out on.  you shouldnt need a fore shaft for them.  ive shot 100's of shots with my cane arrows, and never had any problem, as long as i hit the target.  now missed shots, lol, they would break anything!  if your worried about them looking rough, just trim the fletchings a bit, to even them up.
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 06:09:06 pm »
   Nice arrows and as said if they shoot well who cares what they look like. I guarantee the deer doesn't.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Bowjo

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 09:29:22 pm »
Thanks everyone...The only reason That I am going to try a short foreshaft is to put on a few field points for practice.If I used trade points or other heads for hunting I would use them for practice.I knap all my stone heads and hate to practice with them :o..I am fairly new to knapping and it takes a while too....Joe

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 10:25:04 pm »
 Joe, your arrows look great! And I've put lots of field points on cane. Just grind the angle in and mount a field point.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 11:00:52 pm »
What Mullet said... plus, be sure to shoot the arrows after you haft the stone head on it so you are sure they fly well with the stone.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 07:32:18 pm »
They look good to me-nice job on those. And like Eddie said, I put field points directly on my cane arrows with no foreshaft.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 08:38:44 pm »
Look good to me. I have broken knapped heads when I test shot them. It sucks but it is needed to make sure the head and arrow are matched. I also put field points on my cane shafts plus blunts and homemade practice points.
TJ
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline aero86

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 02:22:38 pm »
i as well put field points directly in my cane shafts.  the diameter i use, they fit in tightly, so it works when i use glue to put them in.
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.