Author Topic: Doin the twist  (Read 1698 times)

Offline Blacktail

Doin the twist
« on: September 12, 2010, 02:32:22 pm »
I got a twist in this piece of yew wood that I believe is about half way down the stave. Before I get too far into working this thing, I was wondering how to approach getting this twist out. Any info is great, thanks john.

Offline sailordad

Re: Doin the twist
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 03:34:45 pm »
take it closer to floor tiller
heat the limb and take a pipe wrench and a bucket of weight to it take the twist out
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 03:46:09 pm »
Just ignore it.
There's less than 45degrees, probably 20 degreers in each limb if you let each limb take a bit.
If the sap/heart boundary is a bit on the skew at either end it doesn't matter too much, you may have to violate growth rings down one edge of the back near each tip, but Yew can stand that sort of thing without breakin' a sweat.
Yew laughs in the face of twist like that...
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

mikekeswick

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 04:11:13 pm »
Shouldn't be a problem. Even less chance of being a problem if you are going to make a flatbow. If you intend to make a longbow just brace it quite early (careful!) and check for any twisting in the hand. If you try to take twist out of a bending portion of a limb it's likely to just come back when tillering progresses.

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 05:20:12 pm »
thanks for the info guys...and a flat bow might be a new and great idea...john

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 07:02:12 pm »
I thought you said it had twist?  Kidding. 

If you are going with a flatbow, there isn't enough twist to worry a hair on your head (if you have any, that is).  Whatcha got there is a pretty nice looking stave, ought crank out a zippy little dartshooter.  If you are bothered by the little bit of twist you have, do like sailordad says and get 'er down to floor tiller stage, heat the worse section up until it's too hot to comfortably hold in your hand, and twist it gently with a pipewrench with padded jaws.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 08:32:45 pm »
I'd be less worried about the twist and a little more excited about how beautiful a yew stave you got there.  ;D

Offline artcher1

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 09:14:17 pm »
All your twist is in the handle area. You can easily correct that if you're set up to do a "Z" splice job. ART