Author Topic: need some opinions  (Read 1305 times)

Offline walkabout

need some opinions
« on: September 05, 2010, 02:06:49 pm »
i have a 48", 1/2" thick piece of red oak that i want to make a short "D" bow out of. its 1.5" wide. my question is, what type of layout should i use to take advantage of the thickness and get the most draw weight? i had considered a pyramid design tapering to 3/4" nocks, similar to an eastern woodlands but shorter, however i wondered if maybe a flatbow design with much of the limb the full width and the final bit tapering would give me more weight in the end. any opinions would be appreciated.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: need some opinions
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 03:06:11 pm »
If you are thinking about a hunting weight bow the thickness might be a issue. At that length I would go with a Cherokee style, bend through the bow and leave it full width at least until you are done tillering. You can taper the outside 1/3 of each limb to 3/4" at the nock. Later you may be able to narrow the handle area for a more comfortable grip if the handle area doesn't already bend too much.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline walkabout

Re: need some opinions
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 03:17:23 pm »
thanks. that was pretty much my plan, to have only a slight taper to the tips. i found a similar bow while browsing search results that was roughly the same dimensions as i was thinking, only it was 7/8" at the tips, 3/8" thick at tips, so i think i can get what im looking for.