Author Topic: Need some opinions on a short osage bow  (Read 1436 times)

old foul dude

Need some opinions on a short osage bow
« on: September 15, 2010, 11:22:19 am »
Hi, I have an osage sapling I roughed out to 1"X1"X45" of heartwood before I put it in a form to dry. I would like to get a D bow of 45#@ 22" out of this. This is my first foray into osage. Opinions? It's slightly reflexed in the form.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Need some opinions on a short osage bow
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 11:46:54 am »
Yes it should do that with no problem. :) Do you plan on a bend through the handle bow?   
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Parnell

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 11:49:36 am »
Can't say for sure, but I bet you can pull it off.  I've made 48" hickory and maple D bows that draw 40-45 and have drawn them out to 27".  Problem was, the set was excessive and these bows had short lives.  If you keep it at 22" of draw and keep your inch of width, Osage seems like a good choice to pull it off with.  There are lots of Plains style bows that would be in that range that I'm sure draw that amount.  Maybe you'd consider sinew backing it to make sure?
1’—>1’

old foul dude

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 03:16:57 pm »
Yes, I plan to let it bend in the middle. I've been looking at pictures and drawings of original plains horse bows even shorter than this
and figured I'd give it a try. Of course the men who made those bows knew what they were doing, and I'm just stumbling along. Just something to play around with. When my self bows blowup on me I fall back on my old super kodiak.