Main Discussion Area > Bows

Sealing Stave Ends

(1/3) > >>

Bob S.:
I apologise in advance for all the stupid questions, I'm new at this. Bow making that is, not stupid questions.  ;D  Anyway, I know that you have to seal the ends of a fresh stave to prevent checking and that most people use paint. I've also read that duct tape works. Any opinions?

DanaM:
Glue, shellac, varnish I don't think paint is the best choice

DanaM

Hillbilly:
I like a thick coat of cheap glue, spray-on shellac works well, too. Anything that keeps moisture from leaving the wood at a high rate of speed will work.

Pat B:
Welcome again, Bob. Glad to see you are not shy. I prefer shellac in a spray can because it is quick and easy. A little bit more costly than brush on shellac but longer shelf life. Theoretically duct tape would work but as it dries it curls and would allow air infiltration and possibly cause checking. What you are trying to do is to totally seal the ends(and back if bark is removed) so any moisture loss would occur along the split side(s) where it is less apt to check and most of that wood will be removed anyway.   Pat

Justin Snyder:
Nothing but white glue for me.  Good wood is to hard to find here. We have a relative humidity of 14%  and temps of 100* often.  I have used left over paint, spray urethane and white glue.  The two logs I used white glue on didn't check.  Everything else was completely ruined.  At $11 a gallon it's just not worth the risk.  Justin

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version