Author Topic: How do you flatten nodes?  (Read 2300 times)

Offline osage outlaw

How do you flatten nodes?
« on: September 03, 2010, 12:08:23 am »
I bought some bamboo/cane from Lowes a while back.  I used my heat gun to get them fairly straight.  Now, what is the best way to flatten the nodes?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: How do you flatten nodes?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 12:35:10 am »
There are at least 2 different schools here and both seem to work quite well as you will see.
  I prefer to straighten the cane first then I re-heat the nodes and roll them on a hard smooth surface with a block of hardwood. This compresses the nodes to almost the diameter of the internode.
  Others straighten their cane then sand the nodes smooth. Because you are removing the rind you should seal these cane shafts. Unsanded cane has it's own built in sealer.
  Note that in both cases the canes were straightened first then the nodes were dealt with. The node is the weal link in a cane arrow. If the sand first and try to straighten later the cane will generally break at a node.
  If the nodes are not too pronounced you don't have to do anything with them. Once drawn a properly spined arrow shouldn't touch the bow when released so a slightly pronounced node shouldn't effect the arrows flight. I have a few river cane arrows that Mechslasher gave me. The nodes are very proud and as the arrows are drawn they make noise on the side of the bow. Once released I never hear a sound.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 12:36:42 am »
Belt sander. :)  But get them straight as possible before reducing the nodes. You can sand the nodes even and it won't weaken the arrow in use, but it'll make it a helluva lot easier to break while you're straightening it.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 01:34:58 am »
Thanks for the info.  I tried to sand a few and then straighten them.  They all broke.  I will try to roll them flat first.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 03:17:37 am »
You don't roll them ...or Compress Them  First...They have to be Straightened First...then either Roll them...or Sand Them...If you do either before having them Straight...You are just asking for Failure....JMO
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 03:52:24 am »
I wrote that last post wrong.  I have straightened the ones that I have left.  Now I need to smooth the nodes.  I am still trying to find some rivercane.  I have spotted some behind somebody's house.  I also got a tip from some field guys from the water company about where I can find some.

Offline comebackshane

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 10:25:40 am »
I flattened my last batch with my wife's iron.  Just make sure to clean it really good before you put it back. ;)

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 10:30:41 am »
I traveled from the Texas Panhandle...all the way to Upper Michigan...and never seen a stalk of Cane in any State...I know I must have missed at least on nice Patch along the Way....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome