Author Topic: Self Made Fletching Device?  (Read 2608 times)

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
Self Made Fletching Device?
« on: August 31, 2010, 11:20:35 pm »
I've been looking in the archives and have not found anything so far.   May not be looking right.  I'd like to build a fletching rig.  The spiders in my cookie jar have voted and the decision is that I will not be shopping at 3-Rivers this time. 

I'm just thing that there must be some way to jig the fletching on one piece at a time......I've got the time, just a shortage of cash.  For the sake of simplicity, assume that any wood structure can be made in-shop, but i am not set up for much metal work. 

Thanks in advance.   I know at least one of you all has the answer.   

piper

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Self Made Fletching Device?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 11:57:38 pm »
Piper, Kegan built one not too long ago and posted pics. I'm sure you could do his design proud!  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 01:16:36 am »
Here's the link to Kegan's design.  I made one it works pretty well.  Improvements I would and will make.  The top section on the nock end should be thinner with small 1/4 x 1/4 strips glued to allow for the fletching holder jig to side down instead of a notch in a 3/4" piece of wood.  This will allow to see the arrow better.  The opposite end from the nock should have a hinge that would allow you to flip up the section with the groove guides.  You can't refletch an arrow with a point on it with this jig.  The point will not come through the small opening.   Put hooks on the base below and to both sides of the shaft so you can hook rubber bands around the shaft to hold the shaft in place while fletching.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,14376.15.html
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 09:45:34 am »
Thanks guys.  I don't know why I couldn't find that with the SEARCH.  Now, off to the shop to clear the stuff off my table saw, otherwise known as the "mobile shelf with motor". 

Recurve Shooter brought me a bundle of river cane and I may have to see if i can smack a crow on the road when I'm driving in to work for some wing feathers.  The turkeys stay off the roads here, unless they are driving Toyota Corollas.  After messing about with fletching a couple free-hand and getting them straight, i agree with a more experienced member, that making the BOW is easier than making the ARROW. 

piper

Offline andy thomas

Offline Mark Anderson

• Mark Anderson Buckie, Scotland
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 04:41:33 pm »
"Mommy some guys just don't know how to shoot REAL bows so they have to buy them, probably at Walmart and they have wheels on them."  Caedmon Anderson (4yrs)