Author Topic: has any one used striped maple?  (Read 2508 times)

Offline blades7558

has any one used striped maple?
« on: September 02, 2010, 09:58:26 pm »
 I found this arrow straight log today its about 5.5 dia and the bark looks like a striped maple. I split it in half and it popped 2 beautiful straight staves no knots and no cracks even with its moisture content being in the low teens and single digits. its not rotten in the core like the last red maple i split and im really excited to have at these guys. i was just wondering has anyone used striped maple as a core bow wood before? i plan on treating it like any other maple and going flat bow style with it.i'll post pics tomorrow
build em...break em...sigh....build em....

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
Re: has any one used striped maple?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 11:11:08 pm »
if you found the log already on the ground it has already started to deteriorate even if it doesn't look like it.

If by striped you mean spalted or ambrosia, those are just fancy words for "starting to rot", very pretty but not for wooden bows i don't think.

having said all that, there's onlu one way to find outif it will make a bow, just be careful.
45# at 27"

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 12:16:46 am »
Striped maple, moosewood (Acer pensylvanicum) would be a poor choice for bows. Maybe arrows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline blades7558

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 12:24:43 am »
pat b hit the nail on the head with what i meant . i have 4 halves that are over 7 feet long, sorry pat but i might try making a bow just for shits and giggles but good call with the arrow wood idea ive wanted to try and make self arrows for a while now... that might be a winter project....
build em...break em...sigh....build em....

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 12:45:07 am »
With the right design any wood will make a bow. It might be a good candidate for a backing. Brown grocery bag paper might be perfect.(seriously)  Make it wide and long...kinda like a Paul Comstock "over built" bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 12:47:00 pm »
yea I agree it's not that good for bows.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 05:09:42 pm »
Spalted maple, fom what I am told, is the result of a fungus growing in the wood.  Maybe the striping he is refering to is tiger striping, as in "curly maple".  If it is curly maple, he better get it sent to me for testing, might be a new flintlock stock in there somewhere.   ;D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.