Author Topic: should i be worrying about arrow weight?  (Read 2668 times)

Offline alex b

should i be worrying about arrow weight?
« on: August 31, 2010, 11:05:55 pm »
  i have a 40 lb. selfbow and am planning on hunting deer this year. i have 110 gr. broadheads, they shoot straight,
but should i be worrying about penetration? i do not know the weight of the arrow shaft. soif i can shoot it accurately
and its sharp, should i try to increase weight?

thanks

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: should i be worrying about arrow weight?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 12:01:13 am »
If the broadhead is scary sharp and you hit a deer broadside without much bone contact you should be OK.  ::)  40# is plenty of draw weight to hunt deer. What shafting are you using?
 Figure out what your arrows weigh. You can buy a grain scale pretty cheaply and it is a worthwhile tool for a fletcher.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 01:19:31 pm »
Accuracy is more important than arrow weight, IMO.  Unless you're using phragmites reed or something, it's pretty hard to make arrow "too light".  If you're using hardwood shafting and 100gr broadheads, you should be fine.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline 4est Trekker

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 06:43:39 pm »
You can always add some brass tube footings up front.  I shoot 40# and 100 grain MA-II broadheads.  I added the extra weight to 1) add FOC mass (improving flight and adding some "knock down" power upon impact), and 2) reduce effective spine (again, improving flight).  Here's a couple of pics:

About 1" of tubing that fits a 5/16" shaft will add about 80 grains.  Best of luck!
"Walk softly, and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline alex b

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 11:36:50 pm »
thanks for the responses. the arrow shafts are 29.5 inches long.11/32. cedar. they were given to me so i dont know exact spine but i suspect
around 35. i dont know if any of this info. will help anwser my question. that idea about adding a footing was good but i think if i increase weight
my accuracy will be affected.
   thanks

alex

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 11:51:50 pm »
My first bow was a 43# ash american flatbow.  I was shooting ash shafts at a friend's recommendation because they "wore like iron".  Yup, shot that dozen arrows for 2 years before I ended up losing most of 'em.  Broke only one.  Then I made up a dozen from sitka spruce.  Couldn't understand why I was now hitting 2 ft higher all the time.  Went back to the ash shafts and realized I was shooting rainbows.  To hit a 20 yd target I looked like I was on the Bonneville Salt Flats for the International Flight Shoot!!!!

When I went back to the sitka spruce shafts and re-learned to shoot, I hit more things at various yardages because I didn't have to compensate for wild arc arrow flight.  What I am going the long way to say is that you don't always want to add weight to an arrow.  Yes, I agree, the physics proves a heavier arrow penetrates more deeply.  But if your arrow is so heavy you have to sky-launch them, accuracy suffers and all the penetration in the world doesn't help poor accuracy. 

It wouldn't hurt to get your arrows weighed.  If you are shooting more than 13 grains of weight per pound outa that 40 lb bow you may have problems.  A little more speed from a 12 grain/lb draw weight would be better, but even 11 grains wouldn't be too bad.  When you get down to the 10gr/lb then you are into the target shooter range and may not get enough penetration.

But no matter what weight you choose, fletching style, cresting, finish, glue choice, what-have-you....get'em scary sharp.  Make 'em so sharp you get nervous reaching for them, so sharp that if you cut yourself you don't feel it until you are weak from blood loss! 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.