Author Topic: breaking a rule of thumb...looking for input  (Read 2341 times)

Offline straightarrow

• "Success or failure, neither are final"
breaking a rule of thumb...looking for input
« on: September 13, 2010, 07:47:22 am »
I've working on a HHB bow for my girlfriend. Before I started the bow we discussed a draw weight and decided on 40@26. During the tillering process i never drew the bow past the intended target weight. After I tillered it out to her draw and hit 40#'s dead on she shot the bow. I noticed she wasn't getting full draw and there was a little bit of a struggle. I decided at that point to make the bow a little lighter......but also breaking the rule of thumb of drawing past the intended target weight. My question is.....What is the consequences of breaking this rule.....?????

Jon

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: breaking a rule of thumb...looking for input
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 08:12:14 am »
Nothing, I think what that means if as you begin and especially at the early stages.What you are doing won't cause any noticeable problems.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 09:45:27 am »
That rule really only pertains to going over your intended weight...I don't believe that if you went back and retillered it to a slightly lighter Draw Weight..and even a little longer Draw Length that this would stress the Bow in the Least....JMO
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 10:53:50 am »
yeah, just think of it as making the bow 40@28 instead of 40@26... even if you aren't gonna pull it to 28.   :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 11:11:31 am »
Nothing but for the record, I don't even hit draw weight until 24-25 in. Then I ease it to 26 in while shooting. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline straightarrow

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 12:02:06 pm »
Thanks guys for the input. Thanks Josh..... thinking of it that way puts things into perspective. You got my wheels spinning a little, Jawge...What is the reason for easing into 26"??? Is it to make final adjusts to the tiller? I actually was thinking of tillering to a few inches under then shooting at short draw to see if the tiller changes.....on my next bow. Is this your reason or is there something else I'm missing

Jon

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 02:13:47 pm »
Remember the old adage 'rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools'.
It doesn't do any harm to overshoot the final weight a little once the bow has been tillered a good bit unless you are building a bow right on the limit of maximum performance. Afterall you'd expect a few inches of extra draw length built in for safety (or over enthusiastic flight shooting :o).
I'd think overdrawing early in the tillering process or when the wood is green is more detramental.
Reducing draw weight is less likely to harm a bow than trying to squeeze out extra weight by shortenning, reflexing etc.
Del
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 02:16:49 pm by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 03:54:51 pm »
Jon, that way I ease into full draw without stressing the bow much. Note that I don't even hit target weight until 25 in. That way I have extra weight for sanding, etc at 26 in. I don't believe in horsing in a tiller. I like to think I coax a bow to tiller. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Badger

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 03:59:18 pm »
   I agree with you Jawge, a little patience really pays off. Rules only matter if something goes wrong, if nothng goes wrong you are fine. Steve

Offline straightarrow

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 08:47:07 am »
Thank you guys...This was the first time i've been in the situtation when a bow was too heavy for the shooter and I wasn't sure if it caused damage to the bow. Your input has been useful jawge, Josh, steve and del. I have allowed three pounds for sanding on my prior bows.....Anyhow the bow is turning a out great!!!.....I got a few more coats of finish..I will post it soon. I am really excited about this one. The bow is my first reflex/deflex and the first time I applied snake skins. Its another Hop Hornbeam....man...I love that wood

Jon