Author Topic: oregon pacific yew  (Read 8887 times)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: oregon pacific yew
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2010, 03:12:25 pm »
Very nice work. Your tiller is excellent on that. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline DustinDees

• the kingdom of bahrain, deployed
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2010, 11:13:44 pm »
Wow. Thank you all for your kind words. I think im hooked on staves but am not going to give up on board bows.... there is a nice little exotic wood shop here in the springs i might have to ransack on occasion.

Thanks,
Dustin D.
“Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for.” – Epicurus
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's Relativit

Offline TBod

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2010, 05:21:30 am »
Cool bow!

Any chance of a pic showing the front of the handle? Looks like you have 2 bolts on every limb.

I did a three piece take down but mine is not shooting well, trying to figure out what's wrong with it..

Offline DustinDees

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2010, 12:29:23 am »
TBod, yes i have 2 bolts on each limb. i dont have the means at the moment to counter drill the dowels. The nuts i used i counter drilled between the layers and drilled through the limbs to match them up. I will get a pic up as soon as i can.

Dustin D.
“Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for.” – Epicurus
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's Relativit

bowkee

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2010, 03:09:10 pm »
Thats interesting, just wondering if  ya chased a ring on the back of the yew, I'm not sure if it is necessary with yew.Phillip

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2010, 03:13:22 pm »
Wow, that is awe inspiring.  Kinda Frankenstein-is, but I think I like it!  Go get a deer with it!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline DustinDees

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2010, 06:35:10 pm »
Bowkee, i did not chase a ring. When i got the yew i stripped the bark and split the stave, i coated the back and ends in reg old TB3 and let it set till this month. For the back i just sanded through the glue and tried to keep the ring looking uniform. The rings are so small on this stave i dont think i could have chased a ring in a month.

JW_Halverson, thank you, i didnt know if i would like it to begin but the contrast in look and feel is growing on me.

Offline Stingray45

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2010, 11:41:21 am »
Great looking yew take down bow. I had a question for you about this bow, after seeing yours I was inspired to try to save some wood I have here at home. I have two Sycamore billets and some hickory I would like to make a take down bow out of. The hickory will be the riser and the sycamore billets wil be the limbs. My question was how did you connect the limbs to the riser? It looks like you used two bolts and washers. Did you drill a hole and set the nut inside the riser? Or was there a special piece of hardware you used for this? Thanks for any help you can provide.
Barry
Is there anything better than wandering the earth with a stick and string in your hand?

Offline adb

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2010, 11:52:43 am »
Nice way to keep it shooting.  You said the limbs are self backed yew right? Got it bookmarked for August Self Bow of the Month contest then.  :)
??? ??? ???

Offline adb

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2010, 10:30:22 pm »
Sorry, that's just not the type of bow I think of, when I think self bow. Sure the limbs are self limbs, but they'e being held to a riser wih metal bolts! I think any metal on a bow would disqualify it as being a self bow. It's a cool bow, but it's a take down longbow, with yew limbs. Just my 2 cents.  ;D