Author Topic: Length of selfbows?  (Read 1792 times)

Offline Bentstick81

Length of selfbows?
« on: August 29, 2010, 11:47:30 pm »
 I have a few boardbows that are 66-68" long. A friend of mine came over this evening with a 62" red oak boardbow, approx. mid 50's on pull weight. He brought a 60" the other day, and i could not believe how these shorter length bows shot. They didn't have much handshock at all :o. All my bows have quite a bit more handshock >:(. My bows are longer. I think i'm going to shorten my bows some, and see if it helps. We have draw lengths of 26-27". We shot each others bows, and we both agree that the shorter bows have less handshock. Do you guys agree?

Offline Jesse

Re: Length of selfbows?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 12:06:05 am »
I think 66" sounds good for red oak. The handshock could be from extra limb mass at the tips or uneven limb timing. Try making the tips thinner. Going short is ok but can mean trouble for some bow woods/ designs.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 12:08:53 am »
Shorter bows can have less hand shock because they have less mass than a longer bow. More often it is a bow will over-sized tips and/or uneven tiller that is the culprit.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 12:35:01 am »
Yes, Pat is correct. Shorter bows don't have less hand shock. It's mostly all about the tiller and tip mass.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 05:37:52 am »
The only other thing I'd add, is that matching arrow weight to bow poundage/speed can help reduce shock, a slightly heavier arrow will get more power into the arrow and leave less in the limbs.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.