Author Topic: Rose Shaft Arrows  (Read 3621 times)

Offline maddog314

Rose Shaft Arrows
« on: September 08, 2010, 07:04:06 pm »
These are my first arrows. Rose shafts I cut dried and straightened. Points I bought out in Colorado, turkey fletches. Any suggestions are welcome.
Micah

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Rose Shaft Arrows
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 07:08:46 pm »
Cool first arrows. How do they fly?
  A few suggestions...round all edges around the nock to protect your string and try using a thinner thread, artificial sinew or real sinew for wraps and hafting. The thicker stuff will hold things together OK but will impede penetration.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 07:29:15 pm »
Looks like you did a good job. As for suggestions, I'll second what Pat said, and I would also trim the height of the fletchings down to about half what they are now or less.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 11:49:41 pm »
If you use artificial sinew, you can split it down to smaller and thinner strands which will work even better. 

At least until you kill a deer with one of those arrows and then you got your own real sinew.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Mark Anderson

• Mark Anderson Buckie, Scotland
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 03:28:22 pm »
Micah, next time I see you I'll get you a bunch of artificial sinew. It works great for all the ones I do and with the 70# stuff I have I can get it to split three ways and it comes out just right for wrapping. Are you gonna post your new christmas tree any time soon?
Mark
"Mommy some guys just don't know how to shoot REAL bows so they have to buy them, probably at Walmart and they have wheels on them."  Caedmon Anderson (4yrs)

Offline maddog314

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 03:23:02 pm »
Well, I have been shooting these arrows and not having much luck with the one it seems to go every direction. The other one (wich seem to be stronger) hits dead on I have been able to shoot it out to 30 yrds and drop it in a spot about the size of a pie pan. I am going to look for some more shafts the same diameter as the good shooter.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 04:40:09 pm »
Try shooting the "bad" with the cock feather in against the bow and see what happens.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Lombard

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 09:02:44 pm »
Congratulations on your killer looking arrows.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2010, 10:06:15 pm »
You have to pay attention to spine. If you don't have a spine tester start stiff and then shoot and sand the arrow in the middle until you get good flight.  Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!