Author Topic: How long after using acetone?  (Read 13246 times)

Offline NTProf

How long after using acetone?
« on: August 28, 2010, 09:47:49 pm »
How long do you wait after using acetone (for oily wood) before gluing on a backing?

Offline sonny

Re: How long after using acetone?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 10:04:51 pm »
acetone dries almost immediately.
give it a minute then apply your glue or epoxy.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline NTProf

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 10:23:31 pm »
Thanks for the help!

Offline profsaffel

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 09:55:46 am »
This also goes for applying stains and such. After final sanding, I clean the wood with a quick application of acetone. Now, I'm in a very humid environment, so if your wood is too dry already, this won't help.  :P

But yeah, the acetone evaporates so quickly, glues and finishes can be applied with out problem only minutes later from my experience.
Professor of History, Student of Bowyery

Offline wodpow

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 11:23:50 am »
on some oily Osage I did the oil became more fluid and came up to the surface with Acetone and the yellow kept coming on the rag. now when I sinew a bow I use a paste made  of hard wood ash and put it on and let it draw the oil out as it dries a couple days. Then scrub it off with hot water and a wire brush but that's when I sinew a bow with hide glue it has no solvents to power into the wood and don't go as deep unlike the glue you want to use.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 11:58:34 am »
Acetone does dry fast but I also believe that some of it may become mixed with the oils of the wood and remain for a little while.  If I do use acetone I will use my heat gun on the back of the core for a few minutes to get it hot, just to make sure it has all evaporated
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Badger

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 12:31:57 pm »
Mark, a well kown modern bow manufacturer said the same thing you did. he actually quit using acetone because he felt like it tended to draw oils back up out of the wood. I wipe down with a light detergent on most woods and only use acetone on extremely oily trpicals which I seldom use. Osage I just prep the surface and go with no degreasers. I think rubbing the glue into the wood on both surfaces helps to avoid dry spots that fine dust can cause. Steve

Offline profsaffel

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 06:47:15 pm »
Hmmm, I'd not heard this before. Thanks for the advice. Maybe I'll consider cleaning with something less harsh in the future.
Professor of History, Student of Bowyery

Offline horseapple

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 08:54:52 pm »
I never use acetone for taking oil out of wood, I do a quick sanding and blow off with compressor before adding the backing or finsh,

JD