Author Topic: Tried something new  (Read 3388 times)

Lombard

Tried something new
« on: August 28, 2010, 09:52:32 pm »
Grew up on the coast with several family members making a life as commercial fishermen. Spent all kinds of time on the water pitching around the deck of a work boat as a teenager. (It was nice to be paid in cash.) So anyway with all that time on the water, I never sailed. Tried something new today, and went sailing with my Wife. It was a blast, and we will no doubt do it again. All it cost me was a trade, a forty pound Red Oak Bow, that I was looking to give to someone anyway, for a three hour sailing lesson.

We would have stayed out longer, however some angry skies sent us tacking and jibing for safe harbor. Got off the water just before it hit hard and heavy.

Offline predatorcaller

• life is short-enjoy it
Re: Tried something new
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 11:10:15 pm »
COOL!!Happy sails to you!!!!!have a great day-Lloyd

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 07:38:50 pm »
I've read all of Patrick O'Brien's British Naval books and can only imagine the wonderful feeling of the deck surging underneath you as the sails catch and spill the wind.  Pity I'm as far as you can get from any real sailable waters and still be in North America.

Only thing I can attribute this to is my viking ancestors.  Also explains the fascination with mead, exotic dark haired women, and archery.

Nice trade...remember, the guy is gonna need arrows now, hehehehe.  And shooting lessons, etc.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 10:05:33 pm »
 That is neat. My familily were commercial fishermen also. I've grown up on the Gulf and Atlantic fishing and surfing. I never learned to sail a boat. Maybe I need to put it on a "to do" list.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Lombard

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 11:38:19 am »
Eddie, did my work as a deckhand on the Atlantic. Yes I would recommend anyone with an affinity for the water to give it a try. To think folks in the distant, and not so distant past sailed off to points unknown with nothing but guts, and wind in their sails. Nice to have a sense of what that was like. Much like what we do with the primitive skills we work to hone here at PA. I haven't built a boat for long time, and with my wife and I being empty nesters, we have decided to build one together. Just a small craft, for power, row, or sail. We have been planning this for awhile now, but just haven't settled on a design. Does anyone think folks would be confused if on the stern we have the boats name printed, The Bow.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 09:42:01 pm »
You may get some 'stern' looks.

>:D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 10:08:12 pm »
Got to do it a couple summers in my twenties, flying a spinnaker and feeling the boat surge underneath should be one on everyone's list.  I'd like to build a small one some day.
1’—>1’

Lombard

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 09:46:23 pm »
JW, I laughed right out loud, at that one. ;D