Author Topic: Slingshot Bow Thing  (Read 4331 times)

Offline Parnell

Slingshot Bow Thing
« on: August 28, 2010, 10:27:53 am »
There was a new show on Disc. Channel last night - Beyond Survival with Les Stroud.  He visited a tribe in Sri Lanka, the Vedda, that made a quickie green slingshot bow thing.  I've never seen anything like this, and didn't quite get it, as far as how it could shoot a rock without hitting the bow.  Did anyone catch this?  I'm sure it'll be on again.
1’—>1’

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Slingshot Bow Thing
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 01:38:29 pm »
I've seen pics of these"pebble bows". I'd be afraid of hitting my hand with the rock. They must work OK because they have been using them for a while.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 02:39:53 pm »
Was it a bow with a pocket in the string where you would normally nock your arrow?  If so, I think the technique is to rotate your wrist out rapidly as you release the string.  None-the-less, I see a sharp (and painful) learning curve...both in shooting the crazy thing and developing new and unsuitable vocabulary
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 02:46:09 pm »
They showed it being shot and it certainly looked/sounded like it worked just fine.  He did hit his hand, JW, you must be right about the wrist thing, still don't get how it doesn't strike the bow.

The string was different, it was like a double string with a pocket on it.
1’—>1’

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 09:50:09 pm »
 I'll Pass! ::) I'll just sling sticks. I don't like "Shot's from the Doctor" either.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Lombard

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2010, 09:58:48 pm »
I saw the episode just last night. It looked as though it blistered a rock with enough velocity to take down small varmints. If Les wasn't all mellowed out on beetle nuts or whatever that red stuff was, he might have been a hurting unit when he shot himself.