Main Discussion Area > Bows

dimensions for a Viking bow replica?

<< < (5/9) > >>

sagitarius boemoru:
No, J.D. its a bough from a bush which was buldozed under my window. Half of it is sap, one side 2´´ reflex another 2´´ deflex...and twisted too.
The braced shape looks funny.

http://sweb.cz/hawkwind/myyewbowbrace.JPG

It only comes round at fulldraw. I stopped going to warbow forum.

Jaro

duffontap:
Interesting Jaro.  That is a pretty rustic looking stave from the look in that pic.  You sure did it justice.  How much net string follow did you end up with? 

I decided to use a small-diameter trunk section for this viking bow.  It's about 2" at the small end and 3 1/2" at the large end.  I have 76" to work with so I can nip a little off to make a fairly accurate replica.  I've got the bark off and the stave blocked-out now so I'll be roughing it out today.  I don't know if it will hold because there are some knots on the back.  It has about 30-50 rings per inch but good density.  A 2" cut-off floats flush with the surface of the water (that's a decent test isn't it?).

Thanks for your help.  I'll keep people posted on a seperate thread on my progress. 

J. D. Duff

sagitarius boemoru:
Well...set. I dont think there is really much of it...I destroyed much of the reflex in tiler and by heat and I repaired some of deflex. But the deflexed part is cast killer along with so much sapwood....

Jaro

Kviljo:
That's pretty hefty for only 69" :)
How wide and thick is it?

Going to make myself a elm Hedeby-replica now. Thanks for all the info folks! This was great :)

Dane:
Wow, I had no idea this link would create such excitment. Glad I'm not the only one interested in Viking bows. I wish I could recall who pointed it to me, so whoever he was, thanks.

If any of you get a chance, read about the history of Hedeby, and the people who lived and traded there. To go a-viking was not toally widespread in the Norse culture, a specific act for various reasons, and they were far from just pirates. Women had more rights, including divorce and property ownership, then the rest of Europe, and the Thing alone makes that culture worth studying.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version