Author Topic: First Character bow "Outta Whack" Finished pics  (Read 10008 times)

Offline RidgeRunner

Re: First Character bow "Outta Whack"
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2010, 09:52:55 am »
As long as it has good Thwack who cares if it is outta whack. ;D

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline Thwackaddict

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2010, 01:13:10 am »
George your wish is granted.Puttin the magic on it now so until i can post finished pics heres last tiller and a full draw preview.Turns out my draw is a bit shorter than i thought.26 instead of 28.It is 26 on wheelies.Never measured til tonight.
28 0n wheelies ::)sorry it was buggin me
Hello everyone.My name is Randy and I am addicted to THWACK!!

Southwest,VA

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2010, 01:16:18 am »
I was pretty sure I knew what you meant.  My draw length is shorter than it used to be on compounds too.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Thwackaddict

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2010, 01:18:07 am »
george,Me too.I cant wait should have some completely finished pics up friday,i'm finishin up handle now.
Ridgerunner-this bow has alot of thwack with dead zero handshock,shoots quicker than my uncles glassbow!! ;D
Scott- thanks man,its been a pain in the  ::) but its came together well!got skins on,dye is done,handle is under consttruction and unique floppy finished.hope to get a coat of oil on it tonight before bed.I'm really stoked about this bow.Took me four to get a shooter but i think #5 is gonna be my  hunter ;D ;D

Southwest,VA

Offline Thwackaddict

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2010, 10:43:51 pm »
Finished her up this evening.Josh ready for bom now ;) Special thanks to Gstoneburg for makin this bow possible.Heres the stats:

56.5"NTN
62#@26"
Limbs are 1" at handle straight to last 10" tapers to 7/16"
1/4" long X 3/16"wide pin nocks
Backed with burmese python courtesy of NateD.
Handle is Jute Wrap (Massey finish to strengthen split in handle)topped with leather (courtesy of Mullet)
Deer track Floppy rest backed with Burmese
Slightly Flipped Tips  Dyed with Black and Scarlett Rit Dye
1.5"set relaxin to 3/4" an hour or so after shooting

This bow Really tested what little skill i have and just about had me pullin my hair out.The tiller was my problem area so on this bow I really slowed it down and went with the wood. Heat treated the belly and removed what twist i could.Bottom limb is 1.5" shorter than the top due to a split while flipping the tips.Overall this bow tested me and in the end we pulled it together and agreed that it would stay together and shoot hard.It really zips one with alot of thwack!!Hand shock is nearly absent and it is whisper quiet.Special thanks to all who contributed to this bow and to Josh for doing a superb job with the BOM contest.Thanks for looking and Enjoy!!
"Thwackaddict"

Randy Peake

[attachment deleted by admin]

Southwest,VA

Offline NTD

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2010, 10:49:16 pm »
Looks great Randy!  Did a good job with it overall.  I like the strike plate too ;) ;D
Nate Danforth

Offline Thwackaddict

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2010, 10:49:26 pm »
A few more and the coveted FULL DRAW :D BTW in case ur wondering it is finished with tung oil.

Southwest,VA

Offline Thwackaddict

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2010, 10:50:53 pm »
This should be the last thing the deer here see this season ;D ;D

Southwest,VA

Offline Thwackaddict

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2010, 10:54:18 pm »
Looks great Randy!  Did a good job with it overall.  I like the strike plate too ;) ;D
Thanks Nate.I'll get ya some better pics of the skin it came out pretty good,but i think it couldve been better,granted tho this is my first skin job so Ya I'm tickled!The strike plate jus popped in my head as i was finishin up the rest!

Southwest,VA

Offline NTD

Re: First Character bow "Outta Whack" Finished pics
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2010, 11:01:11 pm »
Looks like you used the center pattern of the skin.  I like it.  Did you dye the bow black before putting the skins?  It's a very different appearance than the natural burmese but it sure looks nice very camo looking ;D

One note on the strike plate.  I used a piece of gopher skin on my HBO and it works nice but it wore through the single layer of skin a little quicker than I expected had to put another 2 layers on it.  Probably not the case with the burm skin being so much thicker but something to keep an eye out for.  congrats again, looks great, those limbs being on different planes would have messed me all up.
Nate Danforth

Offline gmc

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2010, 11:52:55 pm »
Its always good to see a real set of nocks on a bow. Very nice.
Central Kentucky

Offline Thwackaddict

« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2010, 12:26:26 am »
Nate good eye,i thought the center pattern would give me more contrast.I noticed the strike plate is wearing very quick,I'm goin to try and get some more finish on it in hopes of hardening it and makin it a bit more durable.
GMC-i thought that overlays would ruin this bow and that the pins just go right with it!

Southwest,VA

Offline Postman

« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2010, 11:46:45 am »
"limited skill" my butt...   ;D Great job getting such a short, powerful bow out of that funky chunk of wood!
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline walkabout

« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2010, 11:54:31 am »
superglue will work over snakeskin, although you have to be careful so it doesnt get cloudy. its a pretty tough finish and might work for the strikeplate.

Offline Thwackaddict

« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2010, 08:12:22 pm »
Thanks Postman ;D

Walkabout-i'm rethinking the strike plate more along Nates route.More layers of snakeskin,put some tung on it heavy and i dont like it.I think it needs to be softer.Thanks for the tip though!

Southwest,VA