Author Topic: Urac 185, Yew z splice help please  (Read 5005 times)

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
Urac 185, Yew z splice help please
« on: September 06, 2010, 12:12:19 pm »
Just  cut z splice in two Yew billets glued them last night woke up this morning to check them and they came apart with little effort, any tips or hints on what to do would be great its a new can of Urac 185 glue, and i noticed the clamp i used had broke over night ( plastic little pump clamp) any help or tips would be great thanks Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Gordon

Re: Urac 185, Yew z splice help please
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 12:16:50 pm »
You do need to maintain clamping pressure until the glue is cured - not a lot of pressure, but some.
Gordon

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 12:19:47 pm »
That must have been part of it, when i went to remove the clamp it just fell off little to no pressure, and the glue in spots wasnt dry completely. What do i need to do to reglue just get back down to bare wood and reglue? Thanks
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Grunt

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 04:44:49 pm »
Make sure you mix the glue right and stir it well. I take it you don't have a hot box so when you get it reglued take it outside and set it in the sun for as long as the sun is up.

Offline NTD

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 04:57:36 pm »
Make sure you mix the glue right and stir it well. I take it you don't have a hot box so when you get it reglued take it outside and set it in the sun for as long as the sun is up.

Or in your car ;D  I have a car that doubles as a hot box, cures em up real quick!
Nate Danforth

Offline denny

• my site
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 05:10:28 pm »
I use urac 185 all the time. Can't say I never, had a joint come apart, but it has been a while. I use it everyday in my shop and it has bee a faithful glue.  , but I would never use those plastic clamps especially in a oven . heat will loosen them up. Found this out the hard way. Use metal clamps or shrink wrap and heat with a 100 watt goose neck lamp on the area of the splice.Like some have said , don't sweeze all the glue out , as you need as much for adhesive factor.In the future use resorcinol glue for the joint of a splice and you will be surprised of the joint when dry.Gary Davis uses it all the time on his osage joins he splices.Denny

Offline aero86

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 09:59:37 pm »
where do you get the urac 185 at?
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 11:01:49 pm »
Got mine from Nelson paint. thanks everyone

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 01:16:24 am »
Resorcinol glue works great in  Splices...but just make sure that they are going to be hidden....because Purple don't go too well with Stained Wood Bows....... ;D

I always use Urac for Splices...and Titebond for allmost all Backings
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

HatchA

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2010, 09:00:43 am »
In the future use resorcinol glue for the joint of a splice and you will be surprised of the joint when dry.Gary Davis uses it all the time on his osage joins he splices.

Started watching his dvd last night (found it difficult to turn off to get some sleep!) And DAMN he makes it look so simple... 

Offline denny

• my site
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2010, 10:24:09 am »
Urac , Can be bought at most retail lumber yards, or hardware stores. You have to order most of the time. It runs about 20.00 for enough to do about 8 or 10 glue ups. I just spent a weekend with Gary Davis , building bows together. He really makes it easy and of course is a really calm nice guy. Doesn't even own a computer. Imagine that .lol He says guys talk about him all the time he hears , I told him he was famous and don't even know it. He had some of his videos up there and lotsa folks were enjoying scraping the osage bows. Including the ladies. Denny

Offline adb

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2010, 10:42:23 am »
A couple of other hints... eliminate the words "gap filing" from your glue-up vocabulary. Get your splice joints as tight as possible before you glue them together... I learned this the hard way. Also, give the joint lots of time to cure, and don't make a splice joint do any work... ie, don't make a bendy handle bow that has a splice joint. Try again!  ;D