Author Topic: hickory on hickory bow  (Read 10136 times)

Offline DirtyDan

Re: hickory on hickory bow
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2010, 04:41:02 pm »
Thanks, everyone.  Yes, I think that I did read about this technique in TBB, but I don't remember which volume.  I make a lot of kids bows this way because they are virtually unbreakable.  Take a thin piece of hickory some time and see how far it bends and still will not break.  These bows are really smooth, have no stack, and if you taper each half of the lamination before you glue it up, it tillers very easily.  My next attempt is going to be on a hickory sapling.  I am going to split it, flatten it, tiller each half and then glue it together--maybe with hide glue even, and see what happens.  You never run out of things to try in this business.

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2010, 04:42:44 pm »
Nice looking bow, and no set for a relatively short bow. How much reflex did you glue in?
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline jeff halfrack

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2010, 04:50:48 pm »
Nice  Bow  Dan!!!  did  you  run  a  lam  on  the  back  of  the  handle????   I  like  it  I  would  like  to   see  the  belly   Thanks  Jeff W

Offline Stingray45

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2010, 06:27:49 pm »
Great looking bow Dan! What size did you cut down? I read an article I think in PA a few months back where someone was using fully 1/4-sawn boards and he cut off about 1/4" and then glued it back on in place. Just wondering if you cut your piece right in half or did something like what I mentioned where you only cut off 1/4" or so.
Is there anything better than wandering the earth with a stick and string in your hand?

Offline DirtyDan

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2010, 07:38:51 pm »
Dragonman, about 5" of reflex glued in.  Jeff, I use what I call a "lock-in" lam to keep my glued on handles from splitting off.  It works pretty good.  Sting, I started with a 5/8" thick piece of hickory lumber, resawed it on my bandsaw and sanded about a 1/4" taper to both pieces together before glue-up.

Offline jeff halfrack

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2010, 09:17:05 pm »
 Thanks  Dan  I  some body put a "huh"  face on  my  question I'm  glad  you  understood it!   the picture from the  new  angel  is  fantastic!!!!!!!!!  you  bow  is  one  of  the  freshest  Ideas  I've seen  in  a while   Please  keep them  comming!!  how  about  a  build-along  please  thanks SO  much  JeffW

Offline NTD

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2010, 09:50:02 pm »
The bow looks great Dan.  I'd love to see a squared up full draw pic so we can really admire your tiller.
Nate Danforth

Offline swamp yeti

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2010, 10:45:44 am »
                                                               That is a killer,nice bow

Offline Steve Milbocker

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2010, 04:01:48 pm »
Beautiful bow, the color is outstanding. I second Jeff on the build-a-long. Do you glue these bows up the same as they do with glass laminated bows?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 06:34:27 pm by Steve Milbocker »
I'm no where near as smart as my phone!

Offline gmc

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2010, 06:54:36 pm »
I've never made a laminate bow in my life, but if I ever decide to I'm coming back to this post.
Central Kentucky

Offline DirtyDan

« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2010, 03:33:58 pm »
Thanks, guys. Steve, I use TB III glue and set the bow up on three blocks, similar to Dean Torges' setup in his video on Bamboo backing.  One block in the center and two at the ends.  Then just bend the two lams down to whatever set you want, glue them there and they will dry pretty much the way you put them together.  You can do reflex/deflex or just plain reflex, depending upon the height of your middle block.  Use plenty of clamps.  I use one about every two inches.

Offline Steve Milbocker

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2010, 03:44:13 pm »
Thank you Dan. Once again,beautiful bow.
I'm no where near as smart as my phone!