Author Topic: Osage boards  (Read 1879 times)

Offline Steve Milbocker

Osage boards
« on: August 25, 2010, 11:48:56 am »
I have some osage logs a guy gave me. They have been cut for a long time and are very twisted. Do you think a  a guy could saw them into board staves then back them with something and be able to build a bow from them?
I'm no where near as smart as my phone!

Offline Stingray45

Re: Osage boards
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 12:03:06 pm »
If you can get them in board form you should be fine, wouldnt need to back them unless you wanted to. I have been trying to find a lumber yard here in NOVA with osage lumber for a while, its hard to come by. If you want them in board form and dont want to work with the stave you could always take it to a saw mill and have them rip it down for you. I will say you get the best looking character bows from those twisty logs. Theyre fun to work with.
Is there anything better than wandering the earth with a stick and string in your hand?

Offline Frode

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 02:09:04 pm »
Any chance of some pictures?  As a new convert to straightening, I couldn't help wondering if they couldn't be untwisted, if the grain was good.
Frode
If it doesn't rap the lintel, it might not be a longbow.

Offline Steve Milbocker

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 04:44:07 pm »
I'll try to post some pics in the next few days.
I'm no where near as smart as my phone!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 06:58:57 pm »
If they are too twisty for staves they are probably too twisty for boards. You will have a lot of waste.   Pic will really help!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline wundabred

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 03:35:08 am »
definitely mill it up, man.  Use hickory backing strips about 3/16 thick.  Use quarter sawn or rift sawn...the twist or swirly grain will give you some hassles but improve your skilz.