Author Topic: Qeustion?  (Read 2083 times)

Offline colejack3

Qeustion?
« on: August 25, 2010, 06:14:14 pm »
Do bows lose weight after they have been pulled a couple hundred times? Like how much weight if they do? I made a bow and its a bit too heavy. Does that mean the bow loses speed also? Thanks!!! Also Once a string already has a nocking point put on it then can I move it up or down?

Offline brian_restivo

Re: Qeustion?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 06:38:00 pm »
I've had several loose about 5 lbs after a couple hundred shots. I was breaking them in with about a hundred shots when they hit weight 2" short of indended draw. Pulled them probably 1000 times, left them strung for increasing amounts of time up to 4 or 5 hours or so. They still lost a little stank. So ya...  it will likely drop a bit. If it doesn't you could retiller it, shot it at a shorter draw,  or pump a little iron. Hope that helps
Does it make me a hippocrate, typing here at my computer, when I call myself a neo luddite??

Offline aaron

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 10:17:30 pm »
i concur with what brian said about bows- they seem to loose about 5 lbs or so- I believe they must loose speed too.
you can move a nocking point on a string- if it's a brass one it's best to use a nock remover which is often part of the same tool that puts them on. the tool liiks like pliers, having grooves for putting it on and a "wedge" for wedging it open again. just be careful not to damage the string as you pry it off and don't create any sharp spots if you re-attach the old nock. hopefully your string is served- that is wrapped. if not then this is a good time to serve it.
good luck
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 10:36:26 pm »
My bows get pretty well broken in as I make them since I use a rope and pulley. I may loose a pound or 2.
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline brian_restivo

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 11:05:01 pm »
When I mark the length and weight on the bow, I usually just subtract a few pounds.  Tho I'm doing a more extensive break in. 200 shoots and string'n it for 6-8 hours at two inches out.
Does it make me a hippocrate, typing here at my computer, when I call myself a neo luddite??

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 12:12:45 am »
Like George my bows usually don't change much because of the workout I give it on the tiller tree as I build it. I also sweat my bows when they are ready for it . I do this by bracing it(low at first) and letting it sit for a few hours. The closer I get to tiller the longer is stays braced. If I'm gonna sit in a tree stand or slip through the woods with a strung bow, I want it to be used to being strung and not loose weight over the hunt.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline straightarrow

• "Success or failure, neither are final"
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 12:50:50 am »
Pat B.........what do you mean by sweat your bows when there ready for it?? I have only been into it for less then a year and I haven't heard of that yet??

Jon

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 01:22:08 am »
If the limbs are bending evenly and together at low brace time I'll keep the bow braced for an hour or so. As the tillering progresses and the brace height rises I'll keep it strung a bit longer until eventually I sometimes keep one strung for 5 to 6 hours. Like I said I want to be sure the bow can take it when I go in the woods. If it screws it up while sweating it wasn't meant to be a hunting bow.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline adb

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 01:29:05 am »
I'll often sweat my bows overnight. I think it helps them to "settle in" to final tiller. I'll check it again on the tiller tree for shape and weight, and no, my bows will not lose any weight. Like Pat and George said, they get plenty of work on the tiller tree. If the bow is still good after all that, it's ready to go.

Offline straightarrow

• "Success or failure, neither are final"
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2010, 03:28:11 am »
Gotcha Pat B...thank you. I remember seeing or reading that somewhere.....I didn't know it was called sweating though. I have't done that with any of my bows thus far...I'lll try it on the next one

Jon