Author Topic: S2NR: Second attempt at saskatoon (serviceberry) D bow  (Read 8079 times)

Offline zenmonkeyman

S2NR: Second attempt at saskatoon (serviceberry) D bow
« on: August 24, 2010, 04:36:41 pm »
68.5" N2N, 54# @ 30".  But, THIS time, I took a full draw pic with an arrow, and was surprised how much arrow was left over.  I realize now that I'm only really drawing 28", which makes me both sheepish about being so wrong about 30", but also excited that I can try for shorter bows.  Backed with rawhide, antler shelf and tips, cork handle with parachute cord wrap.  Dyed black with Sheaffer nib pen ink, then decorated with acrylic artist paint.  Not the fastest shooting machine sadly, but I had a skinny tree to work with at about 1" thick.  So we're talking high crown and thick cross section.

Believe it or not, this is still about the straightest stave I have yet found.

My little bit of tip-flipping just about entirely disappeared.  The big deflex kink just above the handle was a challenge.  It really wanted to bend and take set there, even though it was left almost completely round.  I heat-treated the spot quite thoroughly and managed to reverse a bit of the set.

Wouldn't recommend the knotted handle wrap I did, but on the plus side it encouraged me to slim up the tips to eliminate the hand shock.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 05:00:19 pm by zenmonkeyman »
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: S2NR: Second attempt at saskatoon (serviceberry) D bow
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 05:01:27 pm »
Dude... Nice bow!  I love sapling bows... always have some great character.  Got it Saved for the BOM contest for August too.  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Barrage

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 05:06:27 pm »
Did well on that one.  Nice job Zen.  8)
Travis

Offline Stoker

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 10:40:45 am »
Cool bow..Like the artwork on it
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 01:01:29 pm »
Thanks guys!
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 01:09:58 pm »
 Wow! That is a cool finished product! I just finished my first serviceberry bow too. It has nice snakey grain but not as cool as this. I heard serviceberry does not handle compression so I left it unbacked, but apon reaching full draw it lifted a splinter, so I backed it with thin sinew and rawhide wrap.
 I like your finish work

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 01:18:00 pm »
I hadn't heard about SB being weak in compression.  My own tillering skills are "somewhat" lacking, and even so haven't had a problem.  I DID have a few lateral pin knots to deal with, and there are two thick rawhide belly patches; one of which does double duty in building up the handle.  Hopefully this fall I'll have enough sinew supply to back a chokecherry bow; I'll be picking your brain!

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 02:35:25 pm »
Nice tiller from such a wacky stave.
Looks real cool in that darl finish (I don't normally like much finish on a bow, so that's a BIG complement...in fact so big, I need to go and lie down for a while).
Nyah nyah nyah nayh nyah... we tol' you, you wuzzn't drawing 39" ;)
Del (in a daft mood)
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 03:12:58 pm »
Thanks guys!  I am at a loss as to where the 2" went.  I measured my draw with a yardstick as "arrow" but no bow.  I was careful to crook my left arm generously and not overdraw or stand too square...  My best guess is that with a real bow, my shoulder blades are pinched closer together?  I dunno.

Offline Stoker

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2010, 06:21:05 pm »
Thad'll do it  ;) ;)
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2010, 07:31:00 pm »
Excellent work. That is a great tiller! Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Frode

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2010, 09:59:39 pm »
Nicely done, zen!  A most excellent work.
Frode
If it doesn't rap the lintel, it might not be a longbow.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2010, 08:22:01 am »
Beautiful bow,I love the color and finish work, It suprises most people when they really check what they draw,everyone tells me when I ask 28/29 but in reality most I measure are usually 25 to 27.
Very nice job on a challenging piece of wood. Tiller looks dead on. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2010, 02:55:09 pm »
Wow!  Some high-level tiller endorsements there, you guys are making my day!  Thanks!  Now that I have a revised draw length, I'll have to figure out a new optimum spine for shorter arrows, although I need to put heavier tips on for hunting, so maybe the two adjustments will cancel each other out.  I gotta get cracking, not much time left before hunting season starts.

Offline walkabout

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2010, 01:05:54 pm »
very cool bow, finish is well thought out.