Main Discussion Area > Arrows

Cane question

<< < (2/3) > >>

Dingleberry:
That name hales from my old AT trail name....I still like to use it for laughs.  ;D Thanks for the info on drying.  Sounds great.  I was wondering if it is necessary to spine cane arrows like others? if so, do you use the same technique?  approximately what diameter cane would spine for a 40-50# bow?

Hillbilly:
The stiffness depends on the thickness of the walls, which can vary a good bit. If you cut mature stems that don't still have sheaths at the nodes, usually about 3/8" or so at the big end green works for average-weight bows. It will shrink a good bit as it dries, sometimes, so cut it with that in mind. I like cane a lot too, stays straight better than anything else I've used here in our grow-moss-on-your-car humidity, and it's damn near impossible to break a cane arrow.

Dingleberry:
The stand I cut from had a myriad of different sized cane but they all seemed to have sheaths at the nodes.  Some were green and some were brown.  I'm assuming the older brown ones are the best for arras. ???

billy:
HEy Dingle berry

I make my cane arrows 32" long without the foreshaft, and they're usually 1/4" diameter at the nock, with 3/8" to 1/2" diameter at the front.  They fly perfectly off my 51# osage bow.  They're long, but I like long arrows.  They work great with my long draw and hit hard.  Mine weight around 500 grains, but they can vary from 475-630 grains.  I posted a pic of a few of my cane hunting arrows below. 

[attachment deleted by admin]

Pat B:
Dingle, If the canes are already tan in color I would be careful of them . Make sure they can take a good bend before you try to make arrows with them. Cane is a grass and it doesn't take long for fungi to start in on them.
  Check out the sheath on the green canes. If it is brittle and comes off easily then that are good to go. Usually the color has started to change from bright green to an olive green color on the good ones but that is not always the case. You may need to collect differant ones and watch them as they dry. If they are not mature enough, they will begin to wrinkle, lengthwise and the walls will be thin, compared to the mature ones. These will work OK for light arrows probably but I wouldn't use them on a heavier(40#+) bow.    Pat

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version