Author Topic: Applying tung oil  (Read 8002 times)

Offline Steve Milbocker

Applying tung oil
« on: August 23, 2010, 10:29:14 pm »
I have never used tung oil before and the research I did seems to come up with a lot of different ways to apply it. The directions on the can simply says to wipe it on and let it stand for 5-10 min then buff it off. Will buffing it off after each application still build into that glass like look?
I'm no where near as smart as my phone!

Offline sailordad

Re: Applying tung oil
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 10:54:00 pm »
steve all thats all i use except for the ocaasional primitive finish of beeswax
wipe on the first two coats like waxin a car,the let it dry to the touch (each coat)
then the next (however many you like,i use atleast 2 more coats)
just apply liberaly and let dry to the touch again
if you dont want the nice furniture finish,or glass like as you put it,then just lightly buff the last 2 coats
with a quick wipe of xxxx steel wool  ;)
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Thwackaddict

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 01:53:02 am »
Yea, what him say to he! Love the tung !Good finish :)
Hello everyone.My name is Randy and I am addicted to THWACK!!

Southwest,VA

Offline Steve Milbocker

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 07:57:54 am »
Thank you sir. I'll be applying the third coat tonight.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 04:07:34 pm »
Despite the name don't apply it with your tongue :o ::).
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Grunt

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 09:44:11 pm »
Make sure to allow adequate drying time between coats. Double the time it says on the can.  If you don't, you can case harden the finish and create a sticky mess that takes weeks to dry. 

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 10:49:23 pm »
You should actually buff with very fine steel wool between coats
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Steve Milbocker

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 11:14:06 am »
I guess I fell victim to "marketing strategy". I have never even seen tung oil before so I picked up some Minwax Tung oil Finish. Well from what I have been reading this stuff has very little if any tung oil in it. It does however look like it will be a nice looking finish. Anybody have any experience with this stuff?

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2010, 07:51:45 am »
First I do my dye then apply 7-9 coats of oil with my finger tip.  I pour a little into a small glass container and dip from there.  Put it on really thin it will have a tendancy to sag if put on thick.  Then I lightly buff with a really fine scotch pad between coats.  Also put it somewhere dust free when drying.
Traverse City, MI

Offline profsaffel

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010, 09:53:29 am »
I guess I fell victim to "marketing strategy". I have never even seen tung oil before so I picked up some Minwax Tung oil Finish. Well from what I have been reading this stuff has very little if any tung oil in it. It does however look like it will be a nice looking finish. Anybody have any experience with this stuff?

Steve, I use Formby's Tung Oil Finish on several bows. I don't care what the stuff is really made of, if applied like stated above, it will make for a beautiful shiny finish with an almost plastic like coat of protection all over. This stuff is actually a varnish, by the way. The last bow I've finished (which I haven't posted pics of here yet, maybe today) was coated with Tung Oil Finish.

-Doug
Professor of History, Student of Bowyery

Offline walkabout

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2010, 06:46:27 pm »
i use tung oil finish on all my bows and havent had any reason to complain. its simply pure tung oil mixed with a thinner from what i know. the only time it gives reason to be frustrated is if the area youre working in is humid, then it will stay tacky for awhile but usually having a fan running circulating air around it will fix that problem. i also second using something like a scotch brite in between coats. although it isnt needed, it seems to end up being a more smooth finish than not doing it. ive also used it over snakeskins and had amazing results, the skins have a very glassy look to them. if you are using it for hunting you can spray a mist of poly over it just like tru-oil to cut the shine.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2010, 06:49:02 pm »
As far as I can tell there are only two really good ways to apply tung oil. 

1) Open your mouth as wide as you can, do a Gene Simmons impression and rub the oil on.
2) Take 3-4 teaspoonsfull and gargle and swish it around your mouth.....huh?  Wha..?

Never mind.  Sorry.  My mistake.

...er, just rub it on the bow, using just a tiny bit at a time.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline walkabout

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2010, 07:23:49 pm »
yea i just apply it with a rag thats saturated with it in one spot. the thing to remember is that the first coat penetrates the most so for a good barrier i apply it pretty liberally. not enough to create runs or anything, just making sure the wood is saturated.

Offline Alpinbogen

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2010, 09:17:53 pm »
I've only used tung oil finish (token amounts only of actual tung oil), which I've applied with just a rag.  Worked well.

Offline Thwackaddict

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2010, 02:34:07 am »
Steve I too picked up some minwax and dont have much good to say bout it.I use forbes and it takes bout 5 coats of minwax to get the same build and shine as one coat of forbes.JMO
Hello everyone.My name is Randy and I am addicted to THWACK!!

Southwest,VA