Main Discussion Area > Bows

Need help Id'ing some logs

<< < (5/5)

Justin Snyder:
I would guess its not pine, even without smelling it. I have never cut a live pine that didn't ooze pine gum out the end. That one is clean. And a ponderosa almost always has streaks of pine gum running down the outside.  You would know it was pine from touching it, you would be all sticky. Justin

Pappy:
Iam with Greg on this one,at least without smelling it.Frrst is Hackberry 3rd is Cherry and last 2 Saff. I would bet.2nd one not so sure. :)
   Pappy

Jbell:
  Thanks alot for all your responses. I have pretty darn sure that i have Black cherry instead of pine, 2 sassafrass, Hackberry and do beleive that the second one from the left is Pin Oak(I think!). 

Anyone got any comments or suggestions about these becoming bows? Have'nt worked with alot of white wood besides Hickory,Sugar Maple and Black Locust. Thanks! Justin

DanaM:
This started to remind me of the old Cheech and Chong thing

Looks like dog poop, smells like dog poop, tastes like dog poop......

I was wiatin for someone to suggest ya taste the BC/pine log to confirm what it is  ;D ;D

DanaM

Don't think B. Locust is considered a white wood, don't ya have to remove the sap wood on it?

Jbell:
That's pretty funny Dana :D :D I totally agree with you that BL is'nt a white wood, don't know why some of us consider it a white wood, although one of my first selfbows was and all sapwood BL that still shoots til this day, super whiptillered and only an 1.25" wide, beats me how it survived. ???

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version