Main Discussion Area > Bows

Need help Id'ing some logs

<< < (4/5) > >>

DCM:
Oak, particularly red oak, smells like cat pee, to me.

The one with the dark bark is cherry, not pine.  I'm guessing black gum on the one with greenish bark.  Oak on the other unknown.

nailbender:
Oak, when it is green, or wet, has a somewhat sour smell, especially when it is cut or split.

Justin Snyder:

--- Quote from: a finnish native on April 16, 2007, 05:24:22 pm ---all others except the middleone witch is pine are good for bows. pine makes better firewood than bow wood. trust me, pine is the most usuall tree in finland and it sure makes good arrows, but not bows.

--- End quote ---
I can see exactly what you are saying. The bark on that center one looks exactly like Ponderosa pine.
I don't know what they are, but if I had to throw my hat in with someone it would be the horticulturalist, Hillbilly. Justin

Hillbilly:
I'd also say pretty certainly that the middle one isn't pine, also looks to me like wild cherry. Justin, like everybody else said, it's hard to positively ID wood from a photo, it's a lot easier when you can see the grain up close and like several people mentioned, smell helps a lot. Plus, you've probably got trees in Illinois that we don't have here.

DanaM:
The middle one does look like red pine, should be easy to tell though. Pull some bark up see if
is pitchy like pine. But it also looks like BC.

DanaM

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version