Author Topic: new drying technique  (Read 2491 times)

Offline cryostallion

new drying technique
« on: August 18, 2010, 07:33:17 pm »
hi y'all
i was just looking into designs for a heat box for quick seasoning of my staves and thought maybe this would work.  i've never seasoned staves before and don't want to mess them up if i can help it, so if this sounds like a bad idea to anyone let me know.
i have an enclosed trailer sittin outside and it gets nice and toasty in there.  i don't have a thermometer in there yet so not sure just how hot, but i am in western mass where the summer is pretty mild.  cools down a lot at night.  so i doubt it's as hot as inside a car all day in the west texas sun (which i read about in TBB1).  i put a fan in there blowing over them because i've read that helps.  what do you think?

[attachment deleted by admin]
Fanatical ethnic or religious or national chauvinisms are a little difficult to maintain when we see our planet as a fragile blue crescent fading to become an inconspicuous point of light against the bastion and citadel of the stars. -Carl Sagan

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: new drying technique
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 07:37:47 pm »
Looks good to me.

I grew up in NH and I know how humid the summers can get.  The staves will dry much faster if you put a de-humidifier in the trailer.  JMO
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline sailordad

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 07:38:34 pm »
cant see it hurting anything
nice use of a trailer that aint being used at the moment too
not to mention,ifn ya wanna go to bow building event your staves are already loaded to go  ;D
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline cryostallion

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 07:43:29 pm »
Looks good to me.

I grew up in NH and I know how humid the summers can get.  The staves will dry much faster if you put a de-humidifier in the trailer.  JMO

I just moved up here in june and there's been a few really humid ones.  but after living in some really humid places it doesn't seem too bad.  i don't have a humidity meter yet but i guess i should check it.  all my other wood is drying in the cool, dry basement.  so which do you think is better?

i'm going to look online for a cheapo dehumidifier now  :)
Fanatical ethnic or religious or national chauvinisms are a little difficult to maintain when we see our planet as a fragile blue crescent fading to become an inconspicuous point of light against the bastion and citadel of the stars. -Carl Sagan

Offline cryostallion

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 07:44:17 pm »
not to mention,ifn ya wanna go to bow building event your staves are already loaded to go  ;D

haha good call :D

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 07:54:29 pm »
Tests have shown that moving, dry air is the thing that will dry wood the fastest, not heat.  The dry basement is a great place.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline cryostallion

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 08:22:46 pm »
good to know
thanks patrick

-patrick

Offline SA

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 10:45:01 pm »
i dried a couple in my car this spring and summer one twisted it was elm . is drying them in a car bad? i live in central oklahoma and its been  in the 100s latley. i have some mullbery and osage was thinkin of doin that to some of them but not sure now ...any advice.
Shawn Acker

Offline Stingray45

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 08:54:17 am »
I definitely get a dehumidifier. That's what I plan on doing. The only thing I would say with that would be to check the moisture fairly often to make sure you dont suck out too much. If you dont have one I got one on eBay for like $10 with shipping from China. Came in about 5 or 6 business days.
Is there anything better than wandering the earth with a stick and string in your hand?

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 10:54:47 am »
sa, I've dried staves in my car too but they sometimes warp and check badly, especially when they are very green.  Some wood, like ash, will dry out nicely in a hot car.  Google the type of wood you have and try to find data on how fast the wood will kiln dry at the lumber mill.  It's no coincidence that most lumber available at the "depot-type" stores is wood that can be force-dried quickly.

There are also many references that show that a sinew backing can be force-dried with heat, although I don't do it myself.  The climate here in west Texas is dry enough.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

Offline SA

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2010, 07:59:05 pm »
thanks jackcrafty, i have some ash i  think ill car dry
Shawn Acker

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 12:04:20 am »
A side benefit of running the dehumidifier in the enclosed trailor is that the motor will create more heat as well.  Save the water from the pan for watering house plants...nice soft water without any dissolved salts or minerals.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline aero86

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2010, 12:14:40 am »
car drying is how i dry my stuff.  works great in NE texas
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.