Author Topic: Rasps clogging  (Read 5197 times)

Offline NTD

Rasps clogging
« on: August 22, 2010, 02:56:15 pm »
So I recently received a Nicholson #49 in trade with Thwackaddict.  It really seems like a nice rasp, does not gouge the wood and such...but, it sure clogs easliy!!  Is this normal?  Is maybe my wood not dry enough? (osage)
Nate Danforth

Offline bigcountry

Re: Rasps clogging
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 02:57:40 pm »
Mine clogs alot too.  I use a rasp brush. 
Westminster, MD

Offline 4est Trekker

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 04:03:20 pm »
I use the very same rasp on osage with no clogging issues.  Could be two things:

1) Wood isn't seasoned completely
2) You're not using the correct stroke, which will allow the wood to clear from the rasp's teeth.

I would bet it's #1.  Just my $0.02  ;)
"Walk softly, and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline NTD

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 04:22:14 pm »
Thanks for the feedback.  4est, is your #49 pre-brazil? 
Nate Danforth

Offline wundabred

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 08:59:38 pm »
try a farrier's rasp.   never clogs, never fails

Offline NTD

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 09:51:09 pm »
LOL.  I've have 10 farrier rasps and while they work well and I'll always have one at my workbench they are far from a ideal for tillering and fade out shaping  ;D 

Maybe the Nicholsons are like that restaurant that EVERYONE talks about and rants about how fabulous the food is and then you eat there and find out for the price you'd rather of gone to McDonalds....
Nate Danforth

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 10:10:07 pm »
I love my Nicholson.  It has finer, closer teeth that clog easier than a farriers rasp.  But a file card takes care of that quickly.  It isn't really meant for hogging off wood as you would with a Shinto or farriers.  More for the final stages of tillering in conjunction with your scrapers. 
Traverse City, MI

Offline profsaffel

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 10:30:55 pm »
I have a Stanley Surform rasp. It clogs like the devil, but I tolerate it. A rasp brush helps if you have this problem.
Professor of History, Student of Bowyery

Offline NTD

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2010, 10:55:50 pm »
Okay, I'm thinking it was the wood I was working on, which broke, before I could even glue it up.... >:(  After breaking the other set of slats I started on a new one and the #49 was quite sweet, still clogged a bit quicker than my others but not bad at all, I loved the way it left a relatively smooth surface.  I think I might keep it.
Nate Danforth

Offline Alpinbogen

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2010, 11:28:00 pm »
My #49 and #50 Nicholsons are among my most used bowmaking tools.  Some woods clog them more than others (hickory, for example).  Clogging isn't too much of an issue with osage.  A file card cleans them quickly when needed.  A farriers rasp is good to hog wood off, but I put it down and am done with it well before the wood is bending.  Way too coarse for tillering and finer work.

Offline Thwackaddict

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2010, 02:01:06 am »
Nate it might be the zipcode you live in.If you would like you could send it back to Va and I will see if it clogs bad here ;D  :D
Hello everyone.My name is Randy and I am addicted to THWACK!!

Southwest,VA

Offline NTD

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2010, 03:48:36 am »
Nate it might be the zipcode you live in.If you would like you could send it back to Va and I will see if it clogs bad here ;D  :D

Nah Randy, I'm quite happy with it now...it just didn't like that piece of wood and to think of it neither did I.  Thanks for the trade!!!
Nate Danforth

Offline profsaffel

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2010, 08:47:34 am »
I have a Stanley Surform rasp. It clogs like the devil, but I tolerate it. A rasp brush helps if you have this problem.

I just reread what I wrote. "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.  :D
Professor of History, Student of Bowyery

Offline Thwackaddict

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2010, 10:36:16 am »
Haha, that wood was prolly bad ju-ju anyways! Your quite welcome,My Pleasure!!lookin forward to doin more business in the future!
Hello everyone.My name is Randy and I am addicted to THWACK!!

Southwest,VA

Cacatch

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2010, 10:59:46 am »
If your wood is still not dry, or if you have any kind of oil or grease on the surface, that will do it. I have recently been working on hickory and black locust staves that are still fairly green (reducing to help dry faster), and my rasp has been clogging. I don't know what number I have, but it's a Nicholson something.

CP