Main Discussion Area > Bows

Lilac

(1/5) > >>

tpoof:
Anyone have any information on Lilac as a bow wood?
I've heard on it being a stellar wood and cut some just the other day.
Split it out and debarked half of it, took that half inside the basement and left the other half outside under a leanto, with the bark on.
I also covered the ends with a thick coat of white glue,,,no checking on the ends....

This morning when I went to look at the debarked stave it has checks in it big time,back, belly just all riddled with them! >:(

The stave outside seems to be fine as far as I can tell so far.

The wood seems to be very , very strong compared to the Elm and Ash I usually use also the grain is the color purple as the blossoms are on that shrub. A very beautiful looking wood, but one that requires some care in drying I'm finding..

Any tips or stories on this wood, would be appreciated! ;)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Justin Snyder:
If you removed the bark and it checked, the answear is pretty simple.  Either leave the bark on or seal the back of the stave as soon as the bark is removed.  Its not uncommon for lots of woods to check if you remove the bark and don't seal the sapwood.  Justin

DanaM:
tproof there is a thread on paleo about this also.

DanaM

Hillbilly:
Love the grain and color of the wood. It's in the same family as ash.

backwoods preacher:
Thought you might be interested in a little trivia about liliac.  The early settlers in the "backwoods" (appalacian Mts.) used lilac for all sorts of kitchen equipment- cups, bowls, spoons, etc. because of the tight close grain.  I have a set of forks and spoons (6 each) that my son made in 1989 out of this wood and they hold up well.  He informed me that this wood was known as "spoonwood".  I would be interested in knowing what kind of a bow it makes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version