Author Topic: Lilac  (Read 18438 times)

tpoof

Lilac
« on: April 15, 2007, 02:10:32 pm »
Anyone have any information on Lilac as a bow wood?
I've heard on it being a stellar wood and cut some just the other day.
Split it out and debarked half of it, took that half inside the basement and left the other half outside under a leanto, with the bark on.
I also covered the ends with a thick coat of white glue,,,no checking on the ends....

This morning when I went to look at the debarked stave it has checks in it big time,back, belly just all riddled with them! >:(

The stave outside seems to be fine as far as I can tell so far.

The wood seems to be very , very strong compared to the Elm and Ash I usually use also the grain is the color purple as the blossoms are on that shrub. A very beautiful looking wood, but one that requires some care in drying I'm finding..

Any tips or stories on this wood, would be appreciated! ;)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Lilac
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 02:44:47 pm »
If you removed the bark and it checked, the answear is pretty simple.  Either leave the bark on or seal the back of the stave as soon as the bark is removed.  Its not uncommon for lots of woods to check if you remove the bark and don't seal the sapwood.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 03:03:08 pm »
tproof there is a thread on paleo about this also.

DanaM
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 03:04:34 pm »
Love the grain and color of the wood. It's in the same family as ash.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline backwoods preacher

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2007, 03:07:02 pm »
Thought you might be interested in a little trivia about liliac.  The early settlers in the "backwoods" (appalacian Mts.) used lilac for all sorts of kitchen equipment- cups, bowls, spoons, etc. because of the tight close grain.  I have a set of forks and spoons (6 each) that my son made in 1989 out of this wood and they hold up well.  He informed me that this wood was known as "spoonwood".  I would be interested in knowing what kind of a bow it makes.

tpoof

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2007, 06:18:22 pm »
Yes, simple answer now! ;) It just hurts to see a piece ruined... possibly.It was tough enough to get the bark off in the first place, a quite easy thick layer followed by innerbark that was stuck fast! took awhile,,,

DanaM, yes that is what spurred my interest, just searching for more varied responses. :)

Hillbilly,,same family as Ash thats good info! Thanks,,. Wish it had its straightness! It seems really to be a nice wood.
I'm definately going to be watching for this wood with more intensity!

BP,
thats is some good trivia! If'n this piece won't do a bow I will still try to use it somewhere! Some of my fav cookware
utensils are wooden,,,

its easier to see a spoon in it than a bow! lol ;D
thanks for the replys!!

Offline PatM

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2007, 07:05:41 pm »
The only trouble with grouping trees together based on them being in the same family is that they often don't share anywhere close to the same characteristics. Lilac and Ash couldn't be more different
 Almost like comparing Manitoba Maple and Rock Maple based on them being in the same family.
  Pat

Offline DanaM

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2007, 07:49:17 pm »
I ahve a 100 year old(at least) lilac in the yard, momma would kill me ifin I cut it.
But its got this nice long snakey limb on it thats callin to me  ;)

DanaM
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2007, 08:09:53 pm »
I ahve a 100 year old(at least) lilac in the yard, momma would kill me ifin I cut it.
But its got this nice long snakey limb on it thats callin to me  ;)

DanaM

Does it need trimming????????

Offline white wood

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2007, 09:13:56 pm »
dont know if you guys have ever tried bending a branch of lilac or not but were i live, its one of the least bendable woods i know. the wood explodes when under pressure. ive never even considered it as a bow wood. lilac trees here at the farm `are always breaking off in the wind or ice storms. like you guys said, ash and lilac are very different.  it does have a prettuy grain. maybe if you sinew or back it with rawhide to take tension off the back you may get a bow out of it. id be interested in how it turns out for you, good luck and keep us updated on your progress, -jesse
Jesse Buzzell
 Gorham, Maine

brokennock

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2007, 10:48:31 pm »
Don't know that I've ever seen a lilac tree. Just shrubs that are no where near bow stave size. Can someone post a pic?

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2007, 07:05:08 am »
I've been messing with Rose of Sharon wood, which seems to be similar to Lilac.  In my experience, it's best to split off the belly side, leave the bark on the back, and seal the ends.  I've never had a piece big enough around to split down the middle, so I just take off about a third of the wood from the belly side to help it dry gracefully.  I once debarked a green stave and it cracked wide open down the back overnight.

Offline PatM

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2007, 09:32:12 am »
Jesse, Are you sure it's lilac? Most would not describe it as a "tree". I don't think Lilac gets big enough to suffer storm damage. Vertical branches, clumped growth and tough wood aren't recipes for damage. They are usually pretty sheltered too.
   Pat

Offline DanaM

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2007, 10:24:44 am »
I have a lilac tree, if I can remember I will take a pic. The tree I have is old its been thru some storms
other than losing a few small branches its fine. Tough Tree.

DanaM

Manistique, MI

Offline mamba

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2007, 10:53:37 am »
My backyard is full of them.Deffinatly be a challenge to make a bow from them.Good luck,I will be watching closely.
Ray/NY