Author Topic: Harvested my first Yew  (Read 2004 times)

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
Harvested my first Yew
« on: July 19, 2010, 10:04:35 pm »
Had a great time with my gramps harvesting this Yew in western Washington, the pic of the Yew laid out on ground was the second day and about half my take. All together we took 14 limbs on a 20 limb permit. Cant wait for this stuff to season and dry.

[attachment deleted by admin]
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
Re: Harvested my first Yew
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 10:07:35 pm »
Also had a chunk of old growth fir for arrows in the truck, the limb in the picture with my grandpa and I was 30 feet up a 50 ft Yew and I dropped the pruning saw 5 feet from the limb the first time up lol.

[attachment deleted by admin]
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 12:21:20 am »
Man oh man, you are sitting pretty for sure.  8)  Nice haul for you and gramps.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline wundabred

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 04:15:27 am »
wow

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 04:52:43 am »
Blimey, that'll keep you going for a while!
What's a permit? O:) :o
I did feel a little bit guilty (Yeah, but not for long) for 'borrowing' two lengths from a secret location back in February...
Del
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 04:55:56 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 04:35:46 pm »
A dollar a limb we got a permit for 20 and got 14 limbs, and that was enough work for me lol hand saw and a lot of hiking and climbing :D

bowkee

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 05:00:16 pm »
good deal :)

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 06:56:33 pm »
Man... I love pics of the gathering forays! Seems like that's the part I like best (being out there). I don't know anything about you/yew but that looks like some good stuff  ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline dwardo

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2010, 05:38:46 pm »
That looks like a stunning bunch of yew.

I would still trade all that yew for another day out with me old grandad though ;)

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2010, 11:21:44 pm »
Ya it was a very fun experiance i was able to share with him, he is very fun and awnrey grandpa i love very much i will never forget those 3 days :)