Author Topic: Speaking of Siyahs...  (Read 9128 times)

Offline KenH

• The Kilted Cook
    • The Kilted Cook Personal Chef
Re: Speaking of Siyahs...
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2010, 12:05:31 am »
Yeah... I'm keepin' this one.  Since I'm moving aboard my retirement houseboat later this week, it just might become my new Fishing Bow.  At least for a few months until I get settled in, and maybe have time to build a real short Ottawa or Paddle bow for fishing. 
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 12:11:32 am by KenH »
You Kill It - I Cook It!
Ken Hulme,
The Kilted Cook Personal Chef Service

Offline Dane

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2010, 12:04:34 pm »
Hi Ken. This is a very handsome bow. It appeared to be a composite bow at first glance.

Just a couple of questions. One, did you splice in the siyahs or glue them flat to the tips of the stave? Butt joint? If so, is the thread integral to keeping the joint strong?

Two, how is the performance of this bow? Any hand shock, and how well does it toss an arrow? I’m thinking the siyahs should be a fairly light wood so the bow retains some zip.

Finally, any taper on the stave as you move toward the tips / siyahs?

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline KenH

• The Kilted Cook
    • The Kilted Cook Personal Chef
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2010, 08:58:17 pm »
I glued the siyahs flat; although there's a notch at the end - see the photo.  To me the thread is insurance.  I did all the tillering and never saw evidence of a weak joint; then did the coloring and wrapping.    No handshock.  And it throws a shaft with a lot of zip.  The core of the siyahs is the same Red Elm as the limb, and the outer Mango is only about 1/8" thick.  O also tapered the siyahs from just under 1/2" where the join the limb, to 3/8" at the tips.

The stave was tapered only about 1/8" on each side from mid limb to the 45degree shoulder just before the siyah is attached.

You Kill It - I Cook It!
Ken Hulme,
The Kilted Cook Personal Chef Service

Offline Dane

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2010, 09:41:24 pm »
Ken, thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. It looks like a fun way to make a bow. I'll have to try my own version soon.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts