Author Topic: Need more opinions on this tiller please (pics)  (Read 3693 times)

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
Need more opinions on this tiller please (pics)
« on: August 20, 2010, 01:33:10 pm »
I think i can see that i need to get the outer right limb (bottom limb) bending more but this particular stave has a big natural bump there so im a bit nervouse what do you all think thanks. By the way this is Vine Maple 68" ntn and i have it pulling 25" so far and the right limb (bottom) is about 3/4" stiffer on the grid, if you can give me advise on where to take off from now i would appretiate it thanks Josh

[attachment deleted by admin]
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Stingray45

Re: Need more opinions on this tiller please (pics)
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 01:45:03 pm »
Pictures are a little small so its a bit hard to tell, but I dont really see any hinges so I'd just take a little bit off the full length of the bottom limb to catch it up to the right limb for now.
Is there anything better than wandering the earth with a stick and string in your hand?

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 01:50:45 pm »
Sorry about the pics my new e mail shrinks them ill get some better pics up asap thanks
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 02:04:38 pm »
I like a stiffer lower limb, over time they even out anyway if you leave it a little stiffer.  Looks good to me.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 02:10:20 pm »
Looks good to me with the small pictures. My favorite style, a D bow in my favorite wood VM. Although I love Yew. Just cant find any or afford the $100 a stave.  Good job Tillamoo.....er Elktracker.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 02:19:28 pm »
Thanks for the complament here are better pics i hope

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 02:55:55 pm »
Not bad, lower limb a tad stiff in the last third compared with upper.
And I'd say your curtain rod is sagging a tad in the middle ::)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 03:02:35 pm »
Del
Thats funny there you do have a good eye lol ill work the last third a bit and see how it looks. Should i stay above and below the hump in the stave? thanks Josh

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2010, 04:45:13 pm »
Del
Thats funny there you do have a good eye lol ill work the last third a bit and see how it looks. Should i stay above and below the hump in the stave? thanks Josh
I'd say the portion from the hump to the tip (well leave the last couple of inches at the tip). Then have another look.
Mrs Cat has got me decorating the bedroom...wonder if I should post a picture so you guys can tell me if it's ok ;).
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2010, 05:21:23 pm »
Josh,

It is difficult to judge the bend of the limbs purely by eye when you are dealing with a piece of wood that has many bumps, knots and undulations which is often the case with vine maple. With such limbs, even if the bend looks perfect to the eye, portions of the limb could be overstressed. One needs to pay attention to limb thickness and taper while simultaneously judging the characteristics of each imperfection and adjusting accordingly. This skill takes time and many bows to learn. In the meantime I wouldn't get too obsessive with how the tiller looks with these kind of bows. As long as you are not pushing the limits of a particular design and the profile and tiller look reasonable (which it does in your case) you're good.

Gordon
Gordon

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2010, 06:44:31 pm »
Thanks Gordon appretiate the info when i lay the bow flat on a table and draw i feel the bottom limb pulling toward me more than the upper limb so i will work it down a bit and make sure my taper is good, this bow is still very heavy as you can probably tell by looking at me straining to draw it lol so i still have some room to play. thanks again for all your tips

Offline gmc

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2010, 07:08:05 pm »
Josh, I don't think you are satisfied at all with the tiller or you wouldn't have posted for help. I think you're spot-on with your analysis as to what needs to happen but are not sure about the ramifications of trying to improve it. I think you've already proved that you can bend through a knot with the upper limb.

The hardest thing to see when learning to tiller is knowing how one limb affects the other. I see a whole different picture here.

There will always be some imperfection or workaround with every stave, learn to deal with it. Knots will always be hard to deal with but they do bend, maybe not as well as we like sometimes but you deal with it like the knot just off the fade on the top limb, (can't see for sure but its weak in that area so I am assuming a little here). The knot midpoint of the lower limb may not be the main issue, I see the limb not bending past the knot (reflex) adding too much pressue to the top limb.

I took some liberties with your photo, hope you don't mind to illustrate. You may be able to get the improvement you're looking for by scraping a little below the knot in question with some additional sanding out to the tip. This should bring that bottom limb around a little more taking pressure of the top giving you a more balanced tiller. I think what you are seeing here is reflex below the knot.

You may also find after the adjustments that the knot becomes a bigger factor, if it does, scrap it too a little but only in the thick area.

This is what I would do if I wasn't happy with the tiller. Hope this helps.

gmc

Central Kentucky

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2010, 07:13:44 pm »
Ok thanks for the info and help and the picture thanks Josh

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2010, 01:23:42 am »
josh get john.lol...looks great..so,are you having fun with the sticks..hunting season is next week end better hurry up...just joking take your time..you should have a late season..john