Author Topic: gillie suit  (Read 3139 times)

kinkfeather

gillie suit
« on: August 09, 2010, 09:40:12 am »
well i am going to try to make gillie suit.because it is cheaper to make your own an you can make the colors you want.i know to not use black so greens an browns will be my start.now any one chime in at any time.i think i am going to layer.i have a leaf suit but it is gray.i need some colors in it to blend in the woods.i have a camo hat to use.now alot of people use different material.but i am using yearn of different colors.yearn may not be what i need to use but that is all i got.i thought i would sow in pieces maybe that will work.all help is needed.kink

Offline Stoker

Re: gillie suit
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 02:04:08 pm »
Check out some videos on you tube..I'm in the process of building one. They use jute twine from the dollar store  and dye it using
Rit dye.One video I think is called the $50 ghillie suit.Good luck on your quest.
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

kinkfeather

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 05:30:17 pm »
where i am hunting leroy it is alot of greenery.i got my hat done.i will pic it.half way done with jacket.kink

Offline Stoker

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 07:14:58 pm »
Can't wait to see it..I hunt S.E.Alberta in the dry shortgrass prairie and river coullees Desert works for me
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

kinkfeather

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 12:07:44 pm »
jacket 3/4 done,cap done.had to cut alot of black out of suit.i roll a 15"@15 circles cut one end an tie them in a knot in the middle .then i use black ties the small ones an space each bundle 2"apart.i over lap 71/2".to me it is looking good.i wish i could pic but having trouble with photobucket.got alot more to do pants are next.i hope to look like a bush but my wife said she liked my hula skirt.well she does not turn deer meat down.i told her pick fun at the old man but when we come to eat we have to have meat.my granddaughter said i looked like a pot belled christmas tree.my son said i looked like big foot.letam pick fun but when the back strips come.they are all mine.kink

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 11:53:04 pm »
sounds like fun kink ,its so dang hot down here i dont think i could stand the extra material. season opens in 18 days and it'll still be in the high 90's with 100%humidity

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 03:51:13 am »
Sounds like my family kink ;D
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 08:41:43 am »
 Ken, that's why I quit using one. Too Hot. I started using a leafey bug suit with shorts and a T-shirt.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2010, 04:11:47 pm »
last year i used my leafey suit and just my leafey suit :)
Mililani Hawaii

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2010, 05:02:42 pm »
thats a thought eddie, LB i hope your leaves were in the right position ! >:D

Offline sonny

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2010, 09:59:52 am »
don't use black ?? there's no shadows where you hunt  ???
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2010, 10:39:08 am »
I bet you didn't crawl through any Sawtooth Palmetto's, Jesse. ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2010, 01:20:44 pm »
i bought one from bushrag.com for $75.  it's a net jacket with a hood already put together.  i rearranged the twine on the left arm to make it bow friendly.  the website really has some good deals compared to the work of cutting, measuring, and dying all the twine.

jesse, better watch out for those ticks.  as you know they can ruin the "mood"   :o
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy