Author Topic: any suggestions  (Read 1872 times)

Offline 1ahBprimitive

any suggestions
« on: August 22, 2010, 05:28:53 pm »
i have 1/4'' X 2''X 50 somethin inch long slats of ipe and have access to some good 1/4sawn white ash :) what i'm wanting to make is a52'' laminate bow in the 50's to 60# with 25-27''draw  perferably with a strong reflex . ??? this is my seventh bow building project and i was wanting advice before starting. also thinking of maybe a sinew lining?? but i'll probably save that for my locust stave. :-\
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 05:32:23 pm by 1ahBprimitive »
all animals are tasty
some animals are more tasty than others

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: any suggestions
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 05:41:53 pm »
Ash may be strong enough for a backing for ipe but hickory or boo would be a better choice as a backing material. I have never used ash as a backing so I'm just guessing here.
  Save the sinew for the locust.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 01:08:51 am »
ive done a couple ash backed ipes it will be fine as long as the ash is good wood. meaning no decay. i dont see any problems with what you intend to do keep it wide .post pics

Offline 1ahBprimitive

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 10:52:28 pm »
the ash is good stuff been stored up in the attic also finished a self bow out of same wood going to post pics soon ;)that is if it dont break  ;D does tillering have an effect on how much set the bow will take ???
all animals are tasty
some animals are more tasty than others

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 12:38:50 am »
Yes tillering does effect set...actually , how YOU tiller has more effect on set than tiller alone.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC