Author Topic: Paddle bow ?  (Read 2747 times)

Offline bubby

Paddle bow ?
« on: August 17, 2010, 01:01:26 pm »
I've got a good hickory board 2" wide, can I get a paddle bow out of it, say 29" draw @ 50# or so?
Thank's bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline walkabout

Re: Paddle bow ?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 02:13:48 pm »
depends on how long the board is, and how good the grain is also. im not sure how much you plan on sticking to the "paddle bow" design, but generally they are shorter in length, and shorter draws. im not the final word on this though, ive seen some longer bows that had a paddle shape to them, so maybe someone who's built one can help.

Offline KenH

• The Kilted Cook
    • The Kilted Cook Personal Chef
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 02:54:58 pm »
As Walkabout says, Paddle bows are generally between 3 and 4 ft in length, and have very short draws.    The draw weight and length depend on the board width and length, thickness, backing, and your tillering skills, as always.

I saw one on another site the other day that is a 37 inch Atsugewi style sinew-backed paddle bow that pulls 55 pounds at 22 inch draw.
You Kill It - I Cook It!
Ken Hulme,
The Kilted Cook Personal Chef Service

Offline NTD

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 03:25:49 pm »
Mike( El Destructo) makes some outstanding paddle bows.  Hopefully he'll get on here and point you in the right direction.  If not you could do a search and look at his bows.
Nate Danforth

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 03:27:07 pm »
I agree with Nate.  I was gonna suggest the exact same thing.  Mike makes some awesome paddle bows.  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 03:38:59 pm »
O K Mike [El Destructo], the consenuse is in, help a guy out eh. Actually I know they are generally a short bow, short draw, I'm just building one for a buddy, that likes the shape but wants a longer bow to hunt with. He can't shoot my short bows worth a lick.

Offline richpierce

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 05:57:40 pm »
I think hickory may be too strong to be easily used in a 2" wide configuration, because it will require you to get the limbs very thin.  Then slight changes drastically affect tiller and weight of pull unless you are very careful and experienced.  I am thinking there were reasons why most Native hickory bows were narrow and why most paddle bows were made of weaker wood.

Offline bubby

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 04:13:56 pm »
I've made a few short paddle bows, they are thin and sinew backed, but only thinly backed. I've laid it out and gonna treat it like a pyramid, even taper and go from there. Looked at el d's 66" hickory and got a plan, also going bendy handle on this one. I've made some AFB's from hickory pushing 2" wide tapering last 1/3rd of the limb, came out about 60# @ 29". I'll let ya know how she comes out, Bub