Author Topic: did this happen to you  (Read 6877 times)

Offline Blacktail

did this happen to you
« on: August 18, 2010, 07:26:38 pm »
since,i have made a few bows..my family keeps telling me to sell them..that i could make some extra money...now,every time i here this it just makes me made because i didn't get into making bows to sell...i just have a blast making them and learning about them...and then the other problem..every one wants me to make them one...but,know one wants to sit down and make it them self's with me...what the heck...john

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: did this happen to you
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 07:30:11 pm »
LOL i know exactly how you feel.  I always have people tell me I should sell them or make them one.  I just don't want to have orders to fill, to me that would take all the fun out of it and it would turn from a hobby I enjoy to a job that I hate.  I really don't want that to happen.  Now if someone wants to buy one that I already have laying around... That's a different story all together.  :) :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline sailordad

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 07:35:41 pm »
yup all the time
same with my stome points/blades and knives.
with the bows when some one aske me to make them one
i till them its cheaper for them to do it,if the still say i should.then i tell them its gonna cost them starting at $350
that usually changes their minds
if i have one laying around and some one shows and interest and asks how much
some times i give it to them,some times i charge just enough to keep tha habit,i mean hobby going  ;D
as far as the stone things go,those i like to keep.
some i trade off to keep the hobby,i mean habit going  ;D

for me if i have to make someting someone is paying for,then wheres the fun.
i do it as a hobby and thats how its gonna stay for me
i sell only to keep it going,and only get enough to keep it going.never trying to make a profit, just trying to make stuff  ;)
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 07:49:22 pm »
Yes.  I've got a waiting list.

As for selling the bows (and such), I think I'm doing it more often as I gain more skill.  I kinda like it.

I think making bows for a living would be like making a living at playing video games, or something similar.  I think someone would have to bring me my food and knock me over the head when it's time for bed.  Showers would become optional...and I would probably die of wood dust inhalation.  Hmmmm...

Isn't there a thread out there about being a bow-aholic?  ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 08:12:26 pm »
NeveNerver sold a bow to anyone. I've given them away and have helped many make them free of charge. This is my hobby. Jawge
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 12:50:48 am by George Tsoukalas »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline RyanY

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 09:05:09 pm »
Same for me too. Every time I talk to my dad about it that's all he says. He actually developed a business plan for it but its top secret.  ::)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 09:51:26 pm »
 Yep, John. Kinda like when I was painting landscapes and portraits. I did it to relax and because something about the scenery or person caught my eye. Then everybody wanted me to paint their grandkids or something for their house and I just got to where I wasn't enjoying it as much.

I sell bows if someone I don't know wants to buy one I have already made. If somebody wants me to make one special I'll tell them I'll supply the wood,  tools, and knowledge and show them how to make it.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline SA

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 10:38:14 pm »
ya, i gave away my first 3 now the next one is mine ;D good practice though...
Shawn Acker

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 12:13:48 am »
If you sold some of your existing work, think of the tools you could buy.  Or materials.  Horn off ebay for example.  Or it could finance a trip to the Tennessee Classic.  It doesn't have to be "dirty".  It doesn't have to be "selling out".  It could be a pragmatic way to expand your hobby.  Or you could spend the money on family fun.  Money isn't filth; money is Possibilities.
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline sailordad

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 12:50:17 am »
zen,no one said money was filth
most of us just like to keep a hobby,a hobby
if you read my previous post,you will see that i said i will sell/trade occaisonaly to keep the habit,i mean hobby going.

Offline Traxx

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2010, 01:01:56 am »
Just say NO!!!

Offline sailordad

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2010, 01:08:58 am »
Just say NO!!!

;D ;D
yes Mrs.Reagan   ;D ;D

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2010, 02:29:02 am »
zen,no one said money was filth
most of us just like to keep a hobby,a hobby
i

I totally get wanting to keep a hobby a hobby.  Sold!  I just don't understand how profiting from excess inventory detracts from the enjoyment of a hobby.  I can see wanting to keep a collection going, but barring emotional attachment (also understandable), why is there such an aversion to selling?

Your own approach seems quite balanced to me.  I totally agree that taking orders would or could destroy one's enjoyment.  I'm not advocating or questioning that at all.
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Thwackaddict

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2010, 02:47:40 am »
JMO but i think if you do it for a hobby-cool.If your doing it for business-cool.As long as your doing it and enjoying it.As long as you put out a quality product and take pride in doin so it doesnt matter if you sell or not.some people dont have the time or jus dont want to make a bow and would rather buy one.I say Take pride in your work and keep yourself happy!
Hello everyone.My name is Randy and I am addicted to THWACK!!

Southwest,VA

bowkee

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2010, 04:37:20 am »
Makin Bows and other Paleo stuff is Great  Fun even if I we don't get food with them.
 I sold a few and lost more than I got from selling them, even Bought a couple back. ::)
Just don't sellum to them that don't know how to use them. :)